Dogs/nonhealing sore

Chips sore
Chips sore  
Me and Trapper(my adopted golden retriever) recently (4 wks) adopted a extremely loving bulldog from our neighbors. He has been too the vet and gotten all his shots and cures. Except for a sore on the top of his , right behind his toes,that is open. It's not bleeding, but it won't form a scab and heal. My vet just says keep him on antibiotics to keep invection out. It's been 3 weeks of meds and no change. I'm not asking you to be out do my vet, I'm just looking for maybe some experience you may have run into in this area. Also, he licks it a lot.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for including a picture, by the looks of it, Chip has more than one sore on his leg. Has there been ANY improvement to the sores in the weeks of antibiotic use? Has there been any diagnostic testing done on your dog?

Bulldogs are prone to skin problems, some of which are hereditary. Not being a vet, I can't diagnose your dog. I can tell you that some common skin problems in the Bulldog breed are:

Demodex mites- Can be a sign that the dog's immune system is compromised

Ringworm -Isn't really a worm, it's a fungal infection

Eczema - It can appear as dry, itchy, inflamed skin, but there can also be blisters, lumps or wet sores

"Hot Spots"- Also called dermatitis, or pyotraumatic dermatitis. Looks like round, hairless, red and itchy sores. They may be caused by allergic reactions to food, parasites, flea bites, or other conditions.

Lick Granuloma also known as "acral lick dermatitis" - Related to stress, anxiety, separation anxiety, boredom, or compulsiveness. The dog habitually licks one area until it becomes raw.

Cleaning the wounds daily can help fight off infection, and could lessen the amount of antibiotics being used. Clean with a solution of 1/2 hydrogen peroxide and 1/2 warm water. Let them "fizz" really good a couple of moments and then pat dry thoroughly. Apply a little Neosporin or Bacitracin ointment. If Chip licks or chews the wound, try having him wear a clean white cotton sock over the lesions. Change the sock if it becomes soiled. Be persistent about telling him "NO" if you see him chewing the sores. It can be helpful to use a water gun or spray bottle and give him a squirt as you firmly tell him "NO" whenever you see him chewing on the sores.

Some Bulldogs suffer with chronic skin problems their entire lives. For these dogs, controlling or lessening the outbreaks is the solution, as there isn't a "cure". While it's important to prevent infection, it's also important to find out what's going on. Your first step in seeing if cure is possible would be in getting a diagnosis of Chip's condition. If your vet can't give you a referral to a veterinary dermatologist, you may be able to locate one here:

I hope I've been a help.
Best of luck,

To date, I've owned 7 dogs, all of which have lived into old age. Having cared for them in all stages of life, I feel I can offer sound advice to other pet owners, and people considering getting a dog. I am knowledgeable about the AKC (American Kennel Club) dog breeds, training and exercise, caring for sick and elderly pets, feeding, as well as many holistic treatments pets can benefit from. My only request is that you write me using standard English and punctuation.

My life experience in this field is more like "on the job training" rather than an actual degree in animal welfare. You may benefit from my experiences over the past 30 years. Aside from the dogs I've owned, I'm also involved in "breed rescue" and have fostered several dogs, all of which have been adopted to wonderful "forever homes". I find helping people who want a dog very rewarding.

Real life experience, based on over 30 years of dog ownership.