Dogs/Number of pups shown in Ultrasound and x-ray are different

QUESTION: Hi, my female dog ( spitz, the small variety ) comes into heat every 4 months…. We bred her during the last 2 heat cycles, but she did not conceive …. This time we mated her on Dec 3rd and Dec 4th 2012 with one male spitz ( slightly bigger than her ) and on Dec 6th with another spitz ( which is only half her size )…. We took her for Ultra Sound on Jan 19th ( 48th day since the first mating ) and the vet said that she could see 2 puppies on 1 side and 1 puppy on the other side …. She asked us to come again the following week for an x-ray to determinr the accurate number of puppies … Today, Jan 28th ( 57th day since the first mating ), I took her for x-ray and the vet is telling that she can see only 1 LARGE puppy ???
1)Is this possible ??  If so, how  ???

2)Is x-ray the absolute diagnosis for determining the number of puppies ???

She has been vaccinated completely ….

ANSWER: Hopefully there is one pup exactly in back of the other pup and it is showing as one large one, but yes, anything is possible in dog breeding.  Some of the weirdest things can happen.  I guess you won't know until she has them.  However, if it is one BIG pup, she may need a C-section.  Didn't you tell me you also mated her on the seventeenth day of her heat cycle?  If so, those could have been the smaller pups and they might not have made it.  Please let me know what happens.  I have been following this for so long I want to know what happens.  What is your dogs name?

QUESTION: My dog's name is Candy .... She delivered a female puppy yesterday... The vet gave her a dose of oxytosin after the delivery, stating that if there is anything left it will come out ... But, she did not deliver anything else ..... So, I guess that only the x-ray ( which said 1 pup ) was correct and not the Ultrasound ( which said 3 pups ) ... She is drinking lots of water and prefers a liquid diet ( like milk ) ... When can I expect her to gain appetite and start eating solids ???

The best way I know of getting a mother dog to eat after giving birth is to mash up her food and put a little at a time on her puppy's back.  She will then clean it off her pup and start to get her appetite back.  Congratulations!  a puppy finally.  Good news is that it should be easier after this.

Nancy Perry

You can ask me anything on dog training, dog breeding, dog grooming. What type of dog you should get. Pertinent facts about different breeds. I am also specifically knowledgeable about terriers and the diets that help maintain coat excellence. I have trained and helped owners train their dogs.

I have worked in dog training for 35 years. I have been a dog groomer for 25 years..

Certified trainer with Petsmart Certified Groomer with Petsmart

approximatedly 2 to three hundred clients since 1993