Dogs/pug skin problems

Question
Hello. Thank you for taking the time to help me! I really appreciate it.
My 3 yr old pug, Prissy has been itching almost constantly for 2 years and I don't know what to do. I've tried dietary changes, benadryl, frequent bathing, mange shots, changing vets, prednisone and nothing works except for the prednisone...for a little while and then she's right back to intense scratching! She even wakes up to scratch! She also smells foul. :-(
She's currently eating a grain-free, poultry-free diet of venison and yam. I add salmon to it for the omega benefits.
I want to take her to a dermatologist and will probably end up going but she charges $$$$$ and we simply don't have that kind of money.
Is there anything you can recommend? I don't like to see my little angel suffering like this.

Thanks!

Tina

Answer
Hello,

With the foul smell and constant itching, it sounds like she may have Candidiasis or better known as a yeast type infection.

It is possible and we have seen that some dogs are just allergic to just about everything. If that's the case, you will have to take her to a dermatologist so they can test and prepare a serum for her.

We can certainly try some things to help the possible yeast infection first.

First, increase her protein and reduce the carbs as much as possible--carbs feed yeast.  I would take her off of dry food if possible and either go with a raw meat diet (that is balanced and prepared for pets)or a canned food diet of 95% meat.  Merrick and Instinct both have a line of 95/96% meat canned foods.  

Also organic, extra virgin coconut oil is good for healing the intestines for dogs/people who have Candidiasis. Just give her a couple teaspoons a day, most dogs love the taste and will eat it as a treat.

I would continue to feed fish like sardines packed in water only if her skin isn't oily.

A holistic vet would be a great option to see as they are experts on diet plus can offer herbs or chinese medicine that can help.

You may also want to look into a detox for your dog.  Some natural health food stores carry these.  I have also ordered some from Vitacost.com for my dog.  If you choose to do this, keep in mind that the condition can peak or get worse as the toxins need to leave the body, so don't panic, just know this can happen.

I would be careful not to shampoo your dog too much as you can make it worse - unless you get a shampoo from your vet which allows you to bathe your dog often.  You can also rinse your dog in a solution of organic apple cider vinegar that has been diluted with water by 50%. Get her wet and pour this solution all over her. Let sit for 5 minutes and rinse. This will balance the PH on her skin and give her some temporary relief.   

It is also important to keep  you dog on enzymes and probiotics--even if your dog gets better or appears healthy.  Animal Essentials carries a good blend for your dog. It's in a powder form and you just sprinkle it on her food at each meal.

We feed a raw food diet the contains the natural enzymes and probiotics and still add enzymes and probiotics to our dogs food. It's that important.

Enzymes help break down foods small enough so the nutrients can pass through the small intestine. Dogs who are not on a raw food diet or who do not get added enzymes, their own body has to produce the enzymes to break down the food. This is called enzyme robbing. This will tax her internal organs over time and can cause many health issues.

Probiotics are critical for good intestinal health. They are responsible for keeping things like the bad yeast under control. So she should be getting therapy levels of probiotics. This will help overpower the yeast.

Enzymes and probiotics are a couple of the most important things you can add to your dogs diet.

You should learn all you can about the raw food diet for dogs. This by far the best diet and keeps dogs living longer and much healthier.

If you can find a holistic vet in your area, go see them. They can help you get her straitened out and transitioned into a raw food diet.

Once you start this program, it can take several months to get out of the system.  Don't give up too fast and stick with one thing for a while.

You can learn more about diets and supplements at places like Shirlys Wellness Cafe located at http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/healthypets.htm.

I hope this information helps and you can get her on the road to recovery. Just keep doing your research and learn how the diet and supplements can heal. This is the holistic approach and not just covering up the symptoms like the vets do.

I know this has been a lot of information. If you should have any further questions, please feel free to respond back to this same question and I'll try to help.

Roger

Dogs

Roger McLeskey