Dogs/No of pups shown in Ultrasound and x-ray are different

Hi, my female spitz ( the small variety ) comes into heat every 4 months…. We had bred her during the last 2 heat cycles, but she did not conceive …. This time we mated her on Dec 3rd and Dec 4th 2012 with one male spitz ( slightly bigger than her ) and on Dec 6th with another spitz ( which is only half her size )…. We took her for Ultra Sound on Jan 19th ( 48th day since the first mating ) and the vet said that she could see 2 puppies on 1 side and 1 puppy on the other side …. She asked us to come again the following week for an x-ray to determinr the accurate number of puppies … Today, Jan 28th ( 57th day since the first mating ), I took her for x-ray and the vet is telling that she can see only 1 LARGE puppy ???
1)Is this possible ??  If so, how  ???

2)Is x-ray the absolute diagnosis for determining the number of puppies ???

She has been vaccinated completely ….

Neither ultrasound nor X-ray are 100% accurate all of the time. I have used them on occasion to determine that the bitch is indeed pregnant, but would never rely on either one of them for an accurate puppy count.

If your bitch comes in season every four months, you are lucky there is anything there at all. Most bitches who ovulate that frequently have hormonal issues and usually cannot conceive.

Karen Brittan

I have been showing miniature schnauzers in conformation, obedience, and earthdog for forty years, and am a professional dog groomer. I am not a veterinarian and cannot answer questions of a veterinary nature. However, I can give my opinion or share some experiences on some health issues. Everyone should remember that this is a volunteer service, and few of us are up late into the night. Medical emergencies require a veterinary visit, or at least a telephone call... not an internet question which might not be viewed and answered until hours later. If your dog is sick or injured, it should be seen by a licensed professional for proper diagnosis and treatment.

I have taught obedience classes and have taught people how to groom for many years.

Learn more about me and my dogs:

Member of: American Miniature Schnauzer Club; Twin Cities Miniature Schnauzer Club; Twin Cities Obedience Training Club; Elk River Kennel Club; Minnesota Professional Pet Groomers Association; Greater Twin Cities Earthdog Club.

Fifty-one years of living with, observing, and training dogs, along with numerous seminars during that time.