Dogs/rescue poodle mix

We just got brought our new poodle mix dog yesterday.  He has been urinating but has not had a BM. I am little concern, he is also very inactive.  He spends most of his time in his bed. He is not interested in playing or even eating.  He was seen by a Vet yesterday and vet says he has a heart murmur but may have been because of fleas. He just got neutered before we got him home.  Is this normal behavior for a 3yr old poodle mix? I think he is a chihuaha and poodle but not sure

Hi Ava,

It sounds to me like he has just been through a lot lately and is scared, possibly in pain from the operation and just not used to the new surroundings.

Usually when a dog is like this they will be inactive and if they are in pain, they will not eat. I don't know if the vet gave you any pain meds for after the operation or not, but if he did, give him some.

I would not rush things. Just show him where he is supposed to go to the bathroom every so often. Try giving him just a little food now and then.

He could be constipated from all this as well. If you can, get some canned pumpkin and put a little in his food once he starts eating. Pumpkin is a natural regulator.

Possibly he has an upset stomach with all this. Another reason they tend not to eat. There is a product we really like for this kind of problem called Animals' Apawthecary Phytomucil Herbal. It's a tincture and a squirt or two in the mouth an about an hour later, things are much better. You can find it at most natural pet food stores.

If you have some Pepto Bismol, you can give him a teaspoon of that as well every so often.

His diet will be key from here on out. You want his immune system to be as strong as it possibly can be. This is my specialty and I'm certified in animal nutrition.

If you want me to evaluate his diet and make some recommendations so he stays as healthy as possible, just respond back to this same question and I'll lay out a plan for you.

If you do, let me know what you are currently trying to feed him or what they gave you to feed him. Let me know the brand names and if it is dry or canned or both.

I hope he gets to feeling better soon, I'm sure he will.

Let me know if I can be of help with his diet,

Roger McLeskey

Can answer all nutritional information for all dogs. Common problems with food, supplements, weight control, allergies, fleas, etc. Questions regarding raw food, homemade food, skin & coat issues, ect. Can't and/or will not do medicinal type questions that the vet takes care of.

I am certified in Dog Nutrition. Over 6 years now I've owned a natural pet food retail store. I've worked with hundreds of dogs and there owners to achieve better health. We promote a healthy balanced species related diet. This is the way nature made your pet to thrive. Fortunately for those who cannot or wish not to feed a raw based diet, there are alternatives with supplements and cooked food. Just don't let processed food be there only diet. Food is the most powerful medicine. Heal the core of the animal and the rest will take care of itself. We've turned the lives of many dogs around. There parents come back into the store and comment to us on how there dog acts like a real dog again. Our business is thriving and we continue to help many.

We work with Second Chance Companions, Must Love Dogs, members of ASPCA, HSUSA and started our own personal "Red Head Rescue" (non chartered) for stray dogs and rescue dogs from high kill shelters. We've been able to heal the many health ailments these dogs have and place them in good homes.

Dog Food Decoded - How To Choose A Health Diet For Your Dog and Your Budget - Available on Amazon in Kindle format or Paperback. Various articles for in store and web.

Certified - Canine Nutrition Level Three. Last 7 years I've been working with veterinarians, holistic veterinarians, attending seminars and best of all, real life experience with hundreds of customer dogs and cats. I've seen what works and does not work. Feeding a proper species appropriate diet works for most ailments. We've taken away our petís natural diet and caused most of todayís problems.

Many satisfied pet owners coming to our store for nutritional help and advice.