Dogs/Schnauzer neck stretching

Hi Karen, I have just seen your post about the schnauzer neck stretching.   Did you ever find the reason?  I ask because our Mini Schnauzer, who is just ten months old, has been doing this for the last few weeks - on and off.   We live in France.   Django was castrated in early November and then had a few problems with the sutures.   He was not too good after the op either, but after a few days was back to normal.   From Sunday he has had a problem with not wanting to eat, sleeping a lot and has generally lost his vitality. The vet cannot seem to find anything wrong and has checked him out thoroughly.   We feel there has to be something wrong. Today we have been given a tonic (Tonivit).   We are going to ask for an x-ray to see if they can find anything that way.  It is a mystery.   Have you any thoughts please.

Best wishes
Iris McCanna

It sounds to me like your dog may be very pain-sensitive, and he tells you when he is hurting through his actions. My first recommendation would be a veterinary chiropractor, but unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be one in your area. Regular veterinarians are not always good at detecting subtle changes in musculature, etc., and they need to see something on an X-ray to be effective with something like this.

Run your hands lightly over the entire dog, and feel for areas that appear to feel warmer than the areas around them, and if you find anything, put some sort of hot pack on it for twenty minutes or so. An ice pack with warm water in it works well, as will a heating pad.

Also try gently massaging the dog with sort of a circular motion. Start up by the ears, and gently work your way around his neck and then along his back and then down his shoulders, sides, and thighs. If you get any reaction from the dog, concentrate in that area more. When done, apply that heat again, assuming you found a warmer area to concentrate on, and certainly use it on the area that caused a reaction during the massage.

I would do this a couple times a day, and keep him inactive with no jumping until he seems to feel better. Watch his behavior; he seems to be an "easy one to read" due to his pain-sensitivity.

Karen Brittan

I have been showing miniature schnauzers in conformation, obedience, and earthdog for forty years, and am a professional dog groomer. I am not a veterinarian and cannot answer questions of a veterinary nature. However, I can give my opinion or share some experiences on some health issues. Everyone should remember that this is a volunteer service, and few of us are up late into the night. Medical emergencies require a veterinary visit, or at least a telephone call... not an internet question which might not be viewed and answered until hours later. If your dog is sick or injured, it should be seen by a licensed professional for proper diagnosis and treatment.

I have taught obedience classes and have taught people how to groom for many years.

Learn more about me and my dogs:

Member of: American Miniature Schnauzer Club; Twin Cities Miniature Schnauzer Club; Twin Cities Obedience Training Club; Elk River Kennel Club; Minnesota Professional Pet Groomers Association; Greater Twin Cities Earthdog Club.

Fifty-one years of living with, observing, and training dogs, along with numerous seminars during that time.