Dogs/I can't teach my puppy his tricks on command.

Question
Hello, I have recently been given a 10 month old puppy to take care of, I have taught him to sit, shake, lie down, and roller over although he can only do this if I am holding a treat in the guided direction that he has been taught. For example holding the treat over his nose is code for sit, and raising it a bit higher is code for roll over. I think it is great that I have got him to do the trick, however I need him to learn these tricks on command. I'm not sure of his breed, although we think he might be part border terrier, and part irish terrier. He is neutered and is an inside dog, his name is Charlie. He's very smart, so it shouldn't be hard, although I don't know how to do it! Thanks.

Answer

Hi Camie,

It sounds like you're well on the way of getting your puppy trained to listen to your commands. You didn't say how long you've been working with your puppy, or how often. It would be best if you had a couple of training sessions everyday.

I can't see what you're doing when you're training your dog, to tell you what you're doing wrong. Training a dog isn't easy if you've never done it before, and reading about what to do isn't always helpful. If you could take a couple of obedience classes with your dog, an experienced trainer could show you how to get the best results in the shortest time. Ask your vet's office, or a local boarding kennel for a referral to an obedience class in your area.

You don't have to give him food as a reward every time. Also give your puppy lavish praise when he follows your commands. Here are some sites with info on training a puppy:

http://www.dogtrainingbasics.com/commands.html

http://www.bestfriendspetcare.com/pet-resources/dog-behavior-and-training/teachi

http://dogtime.com/basic-commands-obedience.html

You also might try searching for dog training videos on youtube.com

Best of luck,

Patti

Dogs

Patti