Dogs/Dogs

Question
My80 year old brother lives rent free in my home in St. Louis, Mo and is allowing his two big dogs to poop and pee in basement. Paint is now coming up and the smell is awful and disgusting.  I am concerned smell will eventually penetrate the wood  floors and the whole house.  Also unsanitary.  Ask him to stop but he said I am wrong and unreasonable and will not, besides too cold to put them out in yard and mess up his flower garden.
Am I wrong in my demand?

Answer
Hi Joann,

NO, you are NOT wrong to demand that this practice stop. It is your house, your rules.

The dogs urine is very acidic and will destroy your house eventually.

He should take responsibility for his animals and clean up after them. If he cannot do this, then he needs someone to come in daily to do this.

The odor will make you sick eventually. This is not a good situation and needs to be corrected.

I don't care how old he is, he needs to take responsibility for his animals. If he can't, then he does not deserve to have animals.

If he can get a house cleaner to come in every day or every other day and clean up the dogs mess, than that might be a solution.

They will need to use strong enzyme cleaners to destroy the urine and feces residue.

He could have a dog walker come take the dogs out every day to let them do their business outside.That would help eliminate some and give the dogs a break.

There are also portable potty stations that can be purchased. If he could make the dogs go on this, it would be much easier to clean up and keep the smell down.

Here is a link to what I'm talking about. There are many others availabel: http://www.petco.com/product/110970/Potty-Patch-To-As-Seen-on-TV.aspx

This is a very unsanitary situation that you are in and it will make you sick, Mo sick and ruin your house if it is to continue.

If he continues to refuse to do anything about this, then you can call the Animal Control department in your area to have them come out and talk to him.

This must stop and you must continue to take further action until it is corrected.

Dogs normally do not like to pee and poop in the same area they sleep in. This will create behavior problems with the dogs as well.

If he will not be willing to take corrective action, you must make the calls to the Animal Control, the Humane Society and/or police if necessary.

You have to protect your home and your health.

I hope you can get this resolved before it has to come to drastic alternatives.

Let me know if I can do anything else for you.

Roger

Dogs

Roger McLeskey