Dogs/Can't afford medical care for my yorkie

Mr. Bojangles
Mr. Bojangles  

Hi, I adopted my yorkie Bo 9 years ago, he is 17 now and people think he is still a puppy. I lost my job around 4 years ago and he really needs to see a vet but I can't afford it. Do you know if there are any out there that volunteer their services ? Please help my little boy.

Hi Colleen,

If you are having trouble afford veterinary care, first talk to your regular vet. Ask your veterinarian if he or she will let you work out a payment plan. Many veterinarians are willing to work out a weekly or monthly payment plan so that you do not have to pay the entire cost of veterinary care up front. Another option is to contact local animal shelters or the Humane Society. Some shelters operate or may know of local subsidized veterinary clinics or veterinary assistance programs in your area. If you happen to live within driving distance to veterinary school, check with them to see if they offer discount services to the public. There are a couple special credit cards to apply for which help with medical bills (including veterinary bills) read about them here:

There are organizations that provide financial assistance to pet owners in need. Please keep in mind that each organization is independent and has their own set of rules and guidelines. Therefore you will have to investigate each one separately to determine if you qualify for assistance:

I hope that helps!
Best of luck,

To date, I've owned 7 dogs, all of which have lived into old age. Having cared for them in all stages of life, I feel I can offer sound advice to other pet owners, and people considering getting a dog. I am knowledgeable about the AKC (American Kennel Club) dog breeds, training and exercise, caring for sick and elderly pets, feeding, as well as many holistic treatments pets can benefit from. My only request is that you write me using standard English and punctuation.

My life experience in this field is more like "on the job training" rather than an actual degree in animal welfare. You may benefit from my experiences over the past 30 years. Aside from the dogs I've owned, I'm also involved in "breed rescue" and have fostered several dogs, all of which have been adopted to wonderful "forever homes". I find helping people who want a dog very rewarding.

Real life experience, based on over 30 years of dog ownership.