Dogs/my dog reacting to whistle sounds

Hi my 11 years old he has been getting scared when he hears any         
whistle sound sometimes like on tv or our wood stove does it is not a New sound 2 weeks ago he had a cyst on his neck removed it has been since then wanted to know what could be causing this..he gets all shakey  and pants heavily he tries to jump up on us or hide under us.  Thanks for your help

Just a guess, but I suspect he heard some similar sound at the vet's while he was there and he is associating the two in his mind. Or maybe he is starting to lose his hearing a bit, and that is one of the few sounds that can get through for him. Changes at this age can prove challenging for some dogs. It may be a coincidence that these two incidents happened about the same time.

Just ignore his behavior... certainly do not reassure him as he will think his fearful behavior is desirable. If he has a favorite toy, try to distract him with that... otherwise I would just ignore him, or maybe walk away from him when he starts this behavior.

Karen Brittan

I have been showing miniature schnauzers in conformation, obedience, and earthdog for forty years, and am a professional dog groomer. I am not a veterinarian and cannot answer questions of a veterinary nature. However, I can give my opinion or share some experiences on some health issues. Everyone should remember that this is a volunteer service, and few of us are up late into the night. Medical emergencies require a veterinary visit, or at least a telephone call... not an internet question which might not be viewed and answered until hours later. If your dog is sick or injured, it should be seen by a licensed professional for proper diagnosis and treatment.

I have taught obedience classes and have taught people how to groom for many years.

Learn more about me and my dogs:

Member of: American Miniature Schnauzer Club; Twin Cities Miniature Schnauzer Club; Twin Cities Obedience Training Club; Elk River Kennel Club; Minnesota Professional Pet Groomers Association; Greater Twin Cities Earthdog Club.

Fifty-one years of living with, observing, and training dogs, along with numerous seminars during that time.