Dogs/Stopping my dog pulling when walking

Hi,how can I teach my chinese crested (hairless) to stop pulling when we were are out walking? He is just five months old at the moment.

Hi Ella,

This is the time to get your puppy trained to walk nicely on the leash. You can read about how to do that here:

If you've already tried to train your puppy to walk nicely on a leash by reading about what to do, and haven't had much success, then it's time to get some help from a live person who can evaluate you and your puppy together, and show you what you're doing wrong. A local dog obedience class is what I'm talking about. Your vet's office or local boarding kennels can probably give you a referral to a class. An obedience class is a great place for your puppy to learn other important commands that he should know. Come, "stay", "down", "sit", "leave it" are all very helpful commands you would benefit from having your dog know.

Best of luck,

To date, I've owned 7 dogs, all of which have lived into old age. Having cared for them in all stages of life, I feel I can offer sound advice to other pet owners, and people considering getting a dog. I am knowledgeable about the AKC (American Kennel Club) dog breeds, training and exercise, caring for sick and elderly pets, feeding, as well as many holistic treatments pets can benefit from. My only request is that you write me using standard English and punctuation.

My life experience in this field is more like "on the job training" rather than an actual degree in animal welfare. You may benefit from my experiences over the past 30 years. Aside from the dogs I've owned, I'm also involved in "breed rescue" and have fostered several dogs, all of which have been adopted to wonderful "forever homes". I find helping people who want a dog very rewarding.

Real life experience, based on over 30 years of dog ownership.