Dogs/Blue healer border collie mix

Question
Rex
Rex  
I just got a blue healer border collie mix puppy. I was wondering what brand of dog food should I use? And how many times I should feed him? Dry or wet dog food?

thank you,
Emily and Rex

Answer
Hi Emily,

Congratulations on the new pup. And especially about researching what's best to feed. That will go a LONG ways to keeping him healthy and longer with you.

The best diet in the world for any dog is the raw food diet. This is something you can start now or later if you choose to. They make commercially prepared raw diets that are complete, balanced and very easy to feed.

A raw based diet will allow him to thrive the way nature intended our dogs to do. This is their species appropriate diet and what they are designed to eat. Dogs were never meant to eat a cooked food diet. We just created it for our convenience and for the companies to make money.

If this type of diet interest you, let me know and I can talk to you more about it.

For now, if you want to just get him started, I would look at getting a premium puppy food, preferably canned. Canned food is so much better than dry.

You will have to decide on how much canned and dry depending on your budget. But the dog does not require any dry, it don't clean their teeth, that is a myth. It's harder to digest and process and it's DRY! Void of needed moisture content.

If you decide to use some dry, keep it under half of his diet. The more canned you do, the better off he will be.

Good premium puppy foods are like from Orijen, Blue Buffalo, Wellness, Chicken Soup For The Puppy Lover's Soul, Merrick to name a few.

Learn to read your ingredients, this is very important. Keep the foods that contain any wheat, corn, soy, by-products, artificial coloring's, chemical preservatives, gluten's OUT of his diet. These ingredients are mostly in commercial dog foods like Science Diet, Iamms, Purina and Beneful. Keep these foods out of his diet.

Puppies need extra DHA for eye and brain development. There will be some in the puppy foods but you can add extra. To get this, give him some salmon oil, canned salmon, canned tune, canned sardines to name a few sources.

A little cottage cheese now and then, a weekly egg is good. Keep giving him different things. The more variety in his diet, the stronger his digestive system will be. The stronger his digestive system is, the stronger his immune system will be.

The biggest and most important supplement to add to his diet are the enzymes and probiotics. These are critical. They are found naturally in a raw food diet but are destroyed when you cook foods.

The lack of these vital nutrients in a diet is the number one reason so many dogs develop degenerative type diseases as well as cancers at young ages.

People just don't realize this and your vet will never tell you about it. Don't look towards your vet for nutritional information. Always do your own research. They are not trained in nutrition but most people look to them for answers.

We feed raw food exclusively to our dogs and cats and we still add enzymes and probiotics to each meal. It's that important and it just helps their digestive system that much more.

Animal Essentials makes a good one that combines both enzymes and probiotics together. It's one that we use. You can find it at most small, independent natural dog food stores or on the internet.

Whatever you do, ADD these to each meal and he will benefit from it greatly.

You will want to feed him at least three times a day.

Give him plenty of chews to keep him busy. Raw bones are the best but there are good natural chews as well.

Keep him exercised regularly and get him socialized with other dogs all the time you can.

Getting off on the right foot will go a long ways to a happy, healthy dog.

Let me know if you have any more questions or concerns, I'll be happy to help if I can.

Roger

Dogs

Roger McLeskey