Dogs/Cally

Question
My Springer Spaniel becomes very anxious when i need to leave her in the house on her own (doctors app, or to sign on). She yelps and howls constantly, quite loudly, and upsets upstairs neighbours. What could i give her to calm her down for a few hours until i return. I only leave her twice a month on her own for about 4 hours tops, other than that i never leave her. She is 8 years old.

Answer
Hi Susan,

Separation anxiety is a very common problem for many people and their dogs. They are pack animals and they want to be with the whole pack all the time.

There are a few things you can try.

One is using a calming formula to help her relax at those times. You would give it to her a half to one hour before you leave.

Animal essentials makes a good one we carry in our store. Here is a link for more information on it. http://animalessentials.com/#products:66

Another possibility is using a Thunder Shirt. These are very effective for stressful situations. We've used one on our beagle during thunderstorms and fireworks. They have an article on how they help with separation anxiety.

You can read more about them here: http://www.thundershirt.com/

You can also try to work with a local animal behaviorist. They can come to your home and work with you and Cally so she is more relaxed when you leave.

I don't know if you know of or ever watched Cesar Millan's television show The Dog Whisperer. He has a website as well and sells DVD's on different behavior training. I remember an episode that he dealt with separation anxiety successfully.

More info about him here: http://www.cesarsway.com/

You could also try giving her a Kong filled with treats. These are very good baby sitters and keep most dogs occupied for a period of time. We've used them before with our beagles. We would fold over jerky strips and shove them in a Kong. They would work on those things for a long time. We would come home and they usually couldn't get them all out. Very effective at keeping a dog occupied.

Lastly, you could possibly drop her off at a doggy day care facility. I'm sure there are some in your area and would just charge you for a few hours. That way she can play and socialize with other dogs as long as she gets along with others.

Those are about all the ideas I have on that. Every dog is different and one or more of these might work with her. You just need to try a couple of them.

My specialty on this forum is in dog nutrition. Should you want me to evaluate Cally's diet, I would be happy to do so. Food is a very powerful medicine. Not feeding a balanced diet and without certain supplements, dogs are very much prone to diseases these days.

If you want me to evaluate her diet, just reply back to this same question and let me know everything that is in her current diet, including brand names so I can look up ingredients.

Most people take for granted that everything a dogs needs is in that bag of dog food but this is far from the reality.

They need lots of high moisture foods and if you're not feeding a raw food diet, they MUST be supplemented with enzymes and probiotics. Otherwise you are setting her up for a higher chance at degenerative type diseases.

I hope this information helps and please get back to me if you would like.

Roger

Dogs

Roger McLeskey