Hi there I am curious to know what these lumps are forming on my dog, He's a jack Russel around 13 years old and a little on the chubby side, these lumps fist appeared on his head and we thought nothing of in until more appeared in the same area and started to bleed. we then took him to the vets and they gave him antibiotics and a weeks worth of tablets for days later I've noticed more lumps that are bleeding in between the shoulders and I'm not sure what to do, I would prefer not to go to the vets again as the first few times have cost us a lot of money. He still has medicine and i'm wondering if its something that will get worse before it gets better.  many thanks Chloe

Hi Chloe,

You didn't say if your vet made a diagnosis the last time you took your dog in, so I can't say if the condition will get worse or not. If your dog isn't responding to the treatment, another medication may be needed, or the condition could be something other than what your vet thought it was. The only way to identify the growths on your dog, is to have a veterinarian examine him, and possibly do a fine needle aspirate to identify the kind of growth. Anything else is pure guesswork.

Perhaps your dog has a skin infection, rather than a "lump", or a growth. That would explain your vet trying to treat the growth with an antibiotic. Antibiotics are  used to fight bacterial infections, certain fungal infections and some kinds of parasites. Antibiotics do not work against viruses or other skin growths.

It would be wise to go back to your vet, because the prescribed treatment isn't working, and to have these lumps identified. If affording veterinary care is a problem, check with your local RSPCA to see if you are eligible for low-cost vet care. If the RSPCA doesn't offer veterinary services in your area, they still may be able to provide financial assistance, or at the very least they can advise you of your options and try to help. They are worth contacting. Another option is to contact The Blue Cross. They offer veterinary services to pet owners who are on certain means-tested benefits or low incomes.

I hope I was a help.
Best of luck,

To date, I've owned 7 dogs, all of which have lived into old age. Having cared for them in all stages of life, I feel I can offer sound advice to other pet owners, and people considering getting a dog. I am knowledgeable about the AKC (American Kennel Club) dog breeds, training and exercise, caring for sick and elderly pets, feeding, as well as many holistic treatments pets can benefit from. My only request is that you write me using standard English and punctuation.

My life experience in this field is more like "on the job training" rather than an actual degree in animal welfare. You may benefit from my experiences over the past 30 years. Aside from the dogs I've owned, I'm also involved in "breed rescue" and have fostered several dogs, all of which have been adopted to wonderful "forever homes". I find helping people who want a dog very rewarding.

Real life experience, based on over 30 years of dog ownership.