Dogs/Few Questions About My Golden

Hey there ^^ i was wondering i have a 8 month old female golden and she started her period so i was beginning to wonder how long she will have it? and how often does it come to her?.and about pregnancy,how long can she carry the pups? and how to deal with her in the period time and pregnancy time
Thanks for your time ^^

Hi Mohab,

Thank you for writing to me about your Golden.  Here are some reasons to have your dog spayed at this stage before she goes into heat:

neuter your pet!

1.Your female pet will live a longer, healthier life.
Spaying helps prevent uterine infections and breast cancer, which is fatal in about 50 percent of dogs and 90 percent of cats. Spaying your pet before her first heat offers the best protection from these diseases. For every heat that a female goes through the chances of cancer increase dramatically so please have it done before her first heat.

2.Neutering provides major health benefits for your male.
Besides preventing unwanted litters, neutering your male companion prevents testicular cancer, if done before six months of age.

3.Your spayed female won't go into heat.
While cycles can vary, female felines usually go into heat four to five days every three weeks during breeding season. In an effort to advertise for mates, they'll yowl and urinate more frequently—sometimes all over the house!

4.Your male dog won't want to roam away from home.
An intact male will do just about anything to find a mate! That includes digging his way under the fence and making like Houdini to escape from the house. And once he's free to roam, he risks injury in traffic and fights with other males.

5.Your neutered male will be much better behaved.
Neutered cats and dogs focus their attention on their human families. On the other hand, unneutered dogs and cats may mark their territory by spraying strong-smelling urine all over the house. Many aggression problems can be avoided by early neutering.

6.Spaying or neutering will NOT make your pet fat.
Don’t use that old excuse! Lack of exercise and overfeeding will cause your pet to pack on the extra pounds—not neutering. Your pet will remain fit and trim as long as you continue to provide exercise and monitor food intake.

7.It is highly cost-effective.
The cost of your pet's spay/neuter surgery is a lot less than the cost of having and caring for a litter. It also beats the cost of treatment when your unneutered tom escapes and gets into fights with the neighborhood stray!

8.Spaying and neutering your pet is good for the community.
Stray animals pose a real problem in many parts of the country. They can prey on wildlife, cause car accidents, damage the local fauna and frighten children. Spaying and neutering packs a powerful punch in reducing the number of animals on the streets.

9.Your pet doesn't need to have a litter for your children to learn about the miracle of birth.
Letting your pet produce offspring you have no intention of keeping is not a good lesson for your children—especially when so many unwanted animals end up in shelters. There are tons of books and videos available to teach your children about birth in a more responsible way.

10.Spaying and neutering helps fight pet overpopulation.
Every year, millions of cats and dogs of all ages and breeds are euthanized or suffer as strays. These high numbers are the result of unplanned litters that could have been prevented by spaying or neutering.

For every puppy born there is one less home for a dog on death row.  The tragedy and heartache of overpopulation if you take a close look at it would likely convince you to enjoy your dog and if you want another one to adopt a rescue.  There are lots of Goldens that are desperate for homes and many that are killed in shelters that you could help.

Professional breeders do not do it for profit.  They only will do it to keep the integrity of the breed which means things like x-rays to insure that there are no defects, blood tests to insure that there are no congenital deformities, etc.  If you are not a full time professional breeder, and believe me, we don't need any more on this planet, then just enjoy the wonder of your dog and focus on rescue instead.

I know this is probably not what you expected to hear but as someone involved in rescue I must share this information with you.

Shelley Davis  

Shelley Davis

Cageless Country Boarding, Holistic Health Concerns, Behavorial Concerns.

Crusader in the founding of Dog Runs in NYC Parks, instrumental in changing the law in NY State which allows Pet Facilitate Therapy into Acute Care Hospitals, accomplished artist and craftsperson, certified by Red Cross in pet first aid, pioneer in Children Reading To Dogs program in Ulster Co. NY, founder of Bed & Biscuit:Where Dogs Run Free,