Dogs/house trained dog peeing in the house after being neutered.

QUESTION: I have read your bio. I agree to read and rate your response fairly within 3 days."

The dog I am writing about is a foster dog. He is a 4 year old Basset Hound.  We had him a few days and there were no issues with him peeing in the house.  We took him to get neutered 2 days ago and since then every time we leave (When we are not home him and our other dog (a 2 year old spayed Basset Hound) stay in their own bedroom where there is a kennel and a dog bed) he pees all over the dog room.  There are drops of pee all over the room and a spot where he pees quite a bit.  We know it is him and not our other dog since the first time it happened, our dog was in her kennel with the door shut and latched.  After this happened again, we decided to try and put the foster dog in the kennel.  This did not work at all, He somehow managed to unlatch one of the bottom locks on the kennel and fought his way out of the kennel then peed all over the room again.  Before he was neutered, he had no problem being in the room.  He only pees in that room when we are not home.  At night, he sleeps in our room on his bed on the floor and does not have any issues. We always take him outside and make sure he pees before he goes into the dog room.  There is a good chance he will be adopted out in a week or two and as much as we love having him here because he is a real sweetheart, we do not want him to miss out on a good home because of this.  Thank you so much in advance for any advice you have on this!

ANSWER: Hello, Jen,

Thanks for taking the time to peruse my bio, and for submitting your question to me.

Before I answer, I have a few questions:

1.  What anesthesia(s)/sedatives was/were used in sedating your dog for the neutering?

2.  What medications is your foster dog taking post-surgery?

3.  How long was the foster dog in your care before neutering?

4.  Did the dog show any signs of separation distress when you left him alone prior to neutering?

5.  How long was he at the vet's for the surgwry, before and after?  Did he stay overnight?

Please list all medications in questions 1 and 2.  Thanks!

Madeline Friedman, M.A.

QUESTION: 1.  What anesthesia(s)/sedatives was/were used in sedating your dog for the neutering?  They did not say specifically what they used but when I picked him up, they said he was still very groggy. I have checked the paperwork they gave me but it is not listed.  While he was there, they also gave him a distemper and a rabies shot. They also gave him a teeth cleaning and microchipped him.

He is on rimadyl(carprofen) 75 mg 2x a day.

3.  How long was the foster dog in your care before neutering? We had him three days before getting him neutered.

4.  Did the dog show any signs of separation distress when you left him alone prior to neutering? He whined a little bit when we got home if we did not get to the bedroom quick enough to let him out.  Now the only way he will go in there is if he is coaxed in with a treat.  

5.  How long was he at the vet's for the surgwry, before and after?  Did he stay overnight?  He was dropped off at the vet at 7 am.  They called me at 1 PM and said the surgery went well and that I could pick him up after 4 PM.  I brought him home at 5 PM the same day.

Hi, Jen,

Thanks for finding out that information and relaying it to me.

Propofol can cause low blood pressure, which can lead to increased thirst.  If your foster Basset is drinking more this could be one cause of the increased urination.  You should speak with your vet for more information on how long this effect could last if, indeed, the propofol is the culprit or one of the culprits.

One of the side effects of Rimadyl is increased thirst and urination.  You should speak with the prescribing veterinarian about this possible side effect.

I asked about the anesthesia because there's one about which I was concerned, which is actually a PRE-anesthesia called acepromazine, or ACE for short.  Find out if your foster basset was given ace at any time during his vet visit.  

HOWever, all that being said, from what you've written, it appears to me that your foster Basset is suffering from separation anxiety (the crate escapes, the whining when you leave, the reluctance to go into the room unless coaxed with a treat before you leave, and the fact that there aren't problems when you're home overnight).

The vet visit so soon after being in a new home could have worsened any separation anxiety he was already experiencing.  Since you've only had him barely a week, an increase in anxiety due to separation, or the degree to which he had separation issues before you fostered him, may be difficult for you to gauge.  Is there anyone you could speak to at the shelter/rescue who might know if separation anxiety has been an ongoing issue for him, and, if so, if it may have worsened?

As for pre-anesthetics, if he was given acepromazine, this may have been a contributor to the anxiety.  For some dogs, surgery at the vet under general anesthesia, the sights sounds, smells, containment, not feeling well and acepromazine as pre-anesthesia, if it was used, can be traumatizing.  Ace in particular causes trauma in many dogs because, while they can hear, smell, see and experience everything going on around them and being done TO them, they are virtually paralyzed wtih ace and are unable to respond.  Ace does NOT reduce anxiety, so being aware but beng unable to respond is tortuous for many dogs with often lasting effects of trauma, which certainly could cause an increase in separation problems.  Think of that recent horror/thriller movie where a man who was not anesthetized went through open heart surgery, and he was unable to convey that he was awake.  That is how I imagine dogs on ace must feel.

Even if he wasn't given ace, it appears that the vet visit might have been a stress overload for him and that he may be responding to that stress.  Whether the increased anxiety on his part is temporary or permanent is hard to say, but it seems the vet visit combined with a new home has left him feeling quite insecure. Those are a lot of changes for any dog to handle.

As to whether the propofol could still be having an effect, you'll need to ask your vet.  As well, ask if acepromazine was used.

Separation problems can be resolved, but take time and commitment.  Two good books which can help you are Patricia McConnell, Ph.D.'s, "I'll Be Home Soon," and Roger Abrantes's "Separation Problems in Dogs."  Both lay out easy-to-follow and effective plans for reducing and resolving separation anxiety in dogs.  Check for other titles on separation anxiety in dogs.

As well, a professional dog trainer well-versed in working with behavior issues such as separation anxiety can be a huge help and give you tips for managing a dog with separation anxiety and keeping him safe while the issue is being addressed.

Also speak with your vet, as Clomicalm is a medication used to treat dogs with separation anxiety in conjunction with behavioral modification with a professional.  Your vet may prescribe it for your foster Basset and can tell you what you can expect and in what time frame.

Feel free to follow-up if you need to.  I hope I've given some food for thought and helped.

Best regards,
Madeline Friedman, M.A.
Volunteer at
Serving NYC/Manhattan/Staten Island and south central Florida  

Madeline Friedman

I respond to public questions only. I'm not a veterinarian & do not respond to medical questions.Suggestions: Submit a question in one area of priority, as what I am able to address in this venue is limited. Provide as much detail re: the behavior & issue as you can. Tell me how & if behavior is a change from previous behavior & when the changes occurred. Let me know what you think may have triggered such changes & what you have tried so far to resolve it, & what the results were. Let me know what you want help with & what are your concerns & questions about the behavior. I have set up a payment/donation to myself for responding to questions. I donate most of it to animal shelters & rescues. I keep a small portion for my time. The minimum donation is $25.00 on PayPal. When I see that a donation has been made, I will respond to your question. You will be prompted to make the donation before submitting your question. When you have read & rated my response fairly, which must be at the time you read it, I will refund $5.00 back to you IF YOU REQUEST that I do so in your rating comments. If I ask for more details, please respond as a "follow-up" & not as a new question. If I don't respond to your question, I will refund your donation less $5.00. DO rate me fairly at the end of our exchange. I will be pleased if you DO nominate me for volunteer of the month - why not, if I was generous in my response? I may suggest something you were not necessarily ready to hear, but I am honest in the interest of helping your dog, & that is my goal. Please keep that in mind. Please do NOT contact me privately about Allexperts questions through my e-mail or website unless I have invited you to do so. That is an invasion of my privacy - thank you for respecting it. If you would like to contact me for actual dog training & behavior consulting, you may contact me through my website.

Professional dog trainer and behavior consultant full-time since 2002, and hands-on owner and operator of my dog training business; professional dog portrait artist and professional painter for over 20 years. Professional State Certified Educator since 1992. AKC Certified Canine Good Citizen Trainer and Evaluator and AKC S.T.A.R. Trainer and Evaluator. Service and Therapy Dog Trainer (I do not, however, certify dogs for service or therapy work). Experience working with many people on the autism spectrum, including Asperger's Syndrome, both children and adults. Former college and public school instructor. Majored in: Counseling Psychology; Animal Science; Studio Art and Illustration. Professional Teacher since 1992. Degrees: B.F.A.; Master's Degree.

Founding Member of The Behavior Education Network (B.E.N.) of Animal Behavior Associates. Five year professional member of APDT. Two year member of ABMA. Was Animal Science Major, Rutgers University and Psych Major, Caldwell College. Permanently Certified NJ State Instructor Since 1992 and dog trainer/behavior consultant since 2002; AKC Certified Canine Good Citizen Trainer & Evaluator, same for AKC S.T.A.R. training and evaluating; multi-species experience with cats, horses, swine, agamids, birds, rodents, with primary focus on domestic dog. Please keep questions related to dogs only in this forum.

Chronicle of the Dog, Yankee Dog, local news writings, "Popular Dog" Series magazine - Housetraining issue, quoted in Tonawanda (NY) News, July 2007 Join my Facebook page which is NY, NJ and Florida Metro Areas Dog Training if you'd like to have ongoing access to me for occasional questions and advice.

Master's Degree, State Teaching Certification, plus additional undergrad college credits in psychology, and accredited college study in Animal Science.

Published author on dog training and dog behaviour, and business aspects of dog training. F.I.T. "Commitment to Illustration and Excellence as an Illustrator" award. Second place internationally in Society of Illustrators international art competition. Jellybean Photographics Award (for illustration). Rondout Valley Instructor's Training Course (I.T.C.) best dog training coach award (which I consider the highest award they gave out for that five day workshop!). I am a true believer that the best is usually saved for last.

Over 2,500 satisfied customers since 2002.