Dogs/still not house broken

Question
Chewy
Chewy  
Hello,
I got my dog Chewy at the local shelter about 4 years ago.  He is the sweetest lhasa apso ever!
However, he still goes to the bathroom in the house!  I let him out regularly but he sometimes will go on a rug or even when he gets excited.
Any ideas?
Thanks!!
Angie

Answer
First of all, have Chewy examined by your veterinarian to make sure that he does not have a bladder infection, or any other bladder/kidney issues.

You could try house-breaking him again, but I don't know if it will be too effective after all this time. I would keep him confined in a crate when he cannot be watched. Let him out first thing in the morning, after he eats, plays, or sleeps, and then last thing again at night. I would initially take him outside every two hours, and PRAISE him when he potties outside. If he doesn't potty, put him back in the crate and try again in another hour. If this is successful, start letting him out every three hours, and be sure you go outside with him so that you can praise him, but you might find that three hours between potty breaks is too long for him.

The last resort would be to put Chewy in a bellyband. This will catch the urine if he should potty in the house, and some say that just wearing one will prevent a male from urinating inside. Just be sure to remove it when you let him outside! http://www.bellybands.net/  

Dogs

Karen Brittan