Dogs/Strange Wet Spots

Question
I have noticed wet spots on the bed and couch where my dog has been laying.  I have no idea what it can be.  It is clear, does not smell like anything and dries like water.  Usually we found the wet spots at random, and we thought it was just the dog licking the area since it was smaller.  Today however, it was a
large spot like someone poured a cup of water on the couch, so much a little dripped onto the floor.  She does not seem to be doing anything out of the ordinary when it happens, just sleeping or lying down.  I do not think it can be urine because she is house broken and we have a doggy door.  Plus she is not squatting in the area to urinate.

My dog is a Rottweiler mix, approximately 4 years old and spayed (not recently).  She eats Iams ProActive Health Chunks Adult Dry Dog Food, and she is at a normal active level.  She has been eating and drinking like normal.

Thanks so much for your help,
Jamie

Answer
Hi Jamie,

This seems to happen to girls who may have been spayed at an early age. Diet can play a role in this as well. It happened to us a long time ago with a female malamute. She began leaving these wet spots. It turned out she was low on estrogen and just leaking a little fluid.

When they are low, they cannot hold back this fluid that will eventually turn into urine.

We spoke with our vet and we found estrogen was available at only one drug store in our area. We started giving her regular doses and it cleared up.

Since then, we only had to give her an occasional dose. Same basic thing happens to some of our customers dogs. We tell them the same thing and what little feedback we got was positive.

I don't know how available estrogen by pill is now. Our girl passed a few years back. You may ask your vet about it. If it is not available, he may have something else that might work. You may also try searching the internet for other things that may stimulate estrogen production.

Canine nutrition is my expertise on this forum. I read your part about what you are feeding and that may contribute to this and/or other potential problems.

First, I would never feed a dry only diet to a dog, especially a female dog. By nature, dogs are meat eaters. This means their natural diet is high in moisture content. Dry food is well, dry and void of needed moisture. They will never make up for this lack of moisture from drinking water.

A dog on dry or even mostly dry will actually live in a mild state of dehydration. This is especially bad for girls as they need lots of moisture in their diet to help flush the urinary track system.

Secondly, get to know your ingredients. There are a handful of common ingredients used in dog foods that are likely to cause food allergies and/or other health conditions as they wear on the immune system.

The worse offending ingredients are wheat, corn, soy, by-products, glutens, artificial coloring's, chemical preservatives, animal fat, animal digest just to name a few.

The worse offenders of these ingredients are the big commercial manufacturers like Iams, Purina, Beneful, Science Deit, Old Roy just to name a few.

Look at your ingredients and keep the above out of her diet. She will live longer and healthier for it.

The best diet in the world is the raw food diet. This is their natural diet and how they thrive the best. Dogs were never meant to eat a cooked food diet and when you go against nature, something is going to give. It's usually their good health.

A raw diet or even partial raw diet is full of needed moisture, "live" nutrients that are destroyed when you cook or process foods and not being cooked, it's much easier on their kidneys.

You would do well researching this type of diet. You could go to places like Shirley's Wellness Cafe and look at the Animal side of it. Or to a raw food manufaturer's site and read up on it like from http://www.naturesvariety.com.

If not a raw diet then get her on a grain free diet of some dry and at least half her diet in premium canned foods. This will get her moisture intake up higher.

Some of the premium grain free foods are from Orijen, Accana, The Great Life, Nature's Variety, Before Grains, Natural Balance, Taste Of The Wild just to name a few.

If you feed a cooked food diet, you MUST supplement her with a couple of the nutrients that are vital to health. These are enzymes and probiotics.

These vital nutrients are found naturally in a raw food diet but are destroyed when you cook the foods. So you MUST supplement these back into her diet.

You can get a product like from Animal Essentials that contains both enzymes and probiotics in one jar. You just sprinkle on her food at each meal.

Don't underestimate the power of these two. The lack of them in dogs and cats diet are the number one reason why so many animals are coming down with degenerative type diseases and cancers.

These two nutrients support the digestive system and this is the heart of her immune system. You want to keep her immune system strong.

My wife and I did write a book and it is available on Amazon. It it we talk about choosing food and the difference between the brands.

If you have a Kindle or Kindle app, you can grab a copy for only $2.99 and it's a quick read. It will be a good guide to help you transition to better foods.

We also talk about some supplements and other things you can put in her diet that will keep her going strong.

You can check it out at http://www.amazon.com/Dog-Food-Decoded-Healthy-ebook/dp/B008LX6WGY/ref=sr_1_2?ie

If you don't have a Kindle, you can get a paperback version but it is more expensive.

I know this has been a lot of information, if you have some more questions and/or would like additional info, please just respond back to this same question and I'll be happy to help more if I can.

Doing the above changes in her diet will do her a lot of good for now and way into the future. Food is a very powerful medicine.

Let me know if I can help any more.

Roger

Dogs

Roger McLeskey