Dogs/Weird dog behavior

First I should tell you I have a 7 Month old baby.  I think he (or having a baby in the house) is part of the problem.  My dog (about 6yrs old) has been acting a little funny at night.  Started about a month ago and seems to be getting worse.  She needs to sleep in the exact spot that I'm sleeping in.  She has always slept in bed with us or has had access to sleep where ever she wants at night. She is more my husbands dog than mine, and I say that because he has always paid way more attention to her than I ever have.  He is a truck driver and gone all week.  She gets tons of attention from him during the weekend.  But since we've had the baby I of course have been paying more attention to our son than to her.  I try to toss the ball for her in the house (it's winter and cold out so no going outside to toss the ball).  I feel like maybe she's just trying to get more attention from me.  It's just me in the bed and she usually just lays on my husbands pillow when he's not home.  However lately she wakes me up because she's trying to lay in the exact spot that I current am sleeping in.  She's about 60lbs so she can just start to lay down and being in the early AM I just let her push me over.  I feel like it's not worth fighting her and I'd rather get the sleep.  
Any ideas of why she is acting like this?  Or anything I can do to make it stop?  (without lucking her out of my room)

Thank You!

Hi Chloe,

Getting attention isn't just a weekend thing for a dog. Even though it's winter, can you dress your baby up warmly, put him in a carriage, and take your dog for a leashed walk (weather permitting)? It doesn't need to be a long or brisk walk, but it will count as time spent with your dog, as well as providing her with mental stimulation and exercise, which can make her less clingy.

You can teach your dog to pay attention when you just say her name. Put a leash on your dog and drop the leash to the floor. Put your foot on it (this is so your dog canít wander away). Hold a treat in each hand. Stand upright (donít lean over your dog) and donít say anything. Your dog may try several different ways to get the treat in your hand but donít respond. As soon as your dog looks at your face - say her name, smile, praise her and give the treat. Do this several times and alternate the hand that gives the treat so the dog isnít always expecting it from the same hand.
Even though in this game you arenít giving your dog any commands, and in fact arenít even saying her name to get her attention, your dog learns to look to you for praise and treats. In addition, your dog's name becomes more positive because youíre pairing it with rewards. Increase the length of time your dog will look at you before being rewarded. Practice three or four times, take a break, and come back to it again later. For your dog, this counts as attention paid to her, and it doesn't take a lot of time or effort on your part.

Even though it's easier to let your dog have your spot in the bed, you shouldn't let her get away with that behavior. She's testing the limits, just like a small child. Maybe get a dog bed for your bedroom, and train her to sleep there. Here are instructions:

Best of luck,

To date, I've owned 7 dogs, all of which have lived into old age. Having cared for them in all stages of life, I feel I can offer sound advice to other pet owners, and people considering getting a dog. I am knowledgeable about the AKC (American Kennel Club) dog breeds, training and exercise, caring for sick and elderly pets, feeding, as well as many holistic treatments pets can benefit from. My only request is that you write me using standard English and punctuation.

My life experience in this field is more like "on the job training" rather than an actual degree in animal welfare. You may benefit from my experiences over the past 30 years. Aside from the dogs I've owned, I'm also involved in "breed rescue" and have fostered several dogs, all of which have been adopted to wonderful "forever homes". I find helping people who want a dog very rewarding.

Real life experience, based on over 30 years of dog ownership.