You are here:

Dogs/Dog ate battery whole


My 2 year old bassithound ate a whole double a battery about 1-2 hours ago I fed him milk and some spaghetti I don't know what else to do all the bets are closed and I have school and my parents have work tomorrow please help me.

If the battery was punctured, your dog will need emergency surgery. Contact your emergency veterinary clinic immediately!

If the battery is intact, you could try getting him to pass it by feeding him a high fiber diet of whole wheat bread, beans, carrots, potatoes, and some fruits such as apples. Applesauce might also help.

This is an emergency situation and your dog MUST BE SEEN BY A VETERINARIAN! If that battery isn't removed or passed, it may well kill your dog once it starts to corrode.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Karen Brittan


I have been showing miniature schnauzers in conformation, obedience, and earthdog for forty years, and am a professional dog groomer. I am not a veterinarian and cannot answer questions of a veterinary nature. However, I can give my opinion or share some experiences on some health issues. Everyone should remember that this is a volunteer service, and few of us are up late into the night. Medical emergencies require a veterinary visit, or at least a telephone call... not an internet question which might not be viewed and answered until hours later. If your dog is sick or injured, it should be seen by a licensed professional for proper diagnosis and treatment.


I have taught obedience classes and have taught people how to groom for many years.

Learn more about me and my dogs:

Member of: American Miniature Schnauzer Club; Twin Cities Miniature Schnauzer Club; Twin Cities Obedience Training Club; Elk River Kennel Club; Minnesota Professional Pet Groomers Association; Greater Twin Cities Earthdog Club.

Fifty-one years of living with, observing, and training dogs, along with numerous seminars during that time.

©2016 All rights reserved.