Dogs/Dog with enlarged heart

We have an 'almost' 8 year old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel who I had to take to the emergency clinic 3 days ago.  She has an enlarged heart and had quite a bit of fluid build up.  They kept her overnight on oxygen and now she is on Enalapril, Vetmedin and Lasix.

The vet told me to put her on a low sodium diet, so I am transitioning from the one she was on, to Science Diet Light.  Is there something better for her?  Also, if I get L-Carnitine, Taurine and CoQ-10, how much to I give her?  She is 15 lbs.

Thank you.

Hi Barbara,

Sorry to hear about your pup. I don't know what you were on but going to any kind of Science Diet, in my opinion is just going to make things worse.

Commercial dog foods like Science Diet, Iams, Purina, Beneful and others typically use many grains and other less desirable ingredients in there foods. They also use a cheap source of proteins.

The worse grains/ingredients that you want to stay away from is wheat, corn, soy, by-products, glutens, artificial colors, chemical preservatives, animal proteins, animal fat, and a host of others.

From my years in the business, I've seen what damage these type ingredients do long term. They weaken the immune system and lets all the bad diseases and other ill health conditions take over.

You have to realize the best diet in the world for any dog is there natural diet. This is what nature intended them to eat and thrive on. Dogs were never meant to eat cooked or heavily processed foods.

When we go against nature, that's when problems happen. Just look at what they are doing to the feedlot cattle and other mass farmed animals. They don't feed them there natural diet so there body is weak and their immune system is down and they contract many diseases. To battle this, the farmers inject them with antibiotics and growth hormones.

So the best diet in the world is a raw food diet for dogs. There are many commercially made raw foods for dogs that come in little nuggets, bars and other easy to feed shapes.

These diets are balanced as they contain ground up bone and organ meat.

Dry dog food is the hardest to process. It takes a long time to digest and it is void of much needed moisture. A dog on dry or mostly dry food diet will actually live in a mild state of dehydration. This is hard on internal organs.

You can feed a little good premium dry but most of there diet should be in moist type foods.

If you feed dry and or canned foods, you must supplement with enzymes and probiotics. This is VERY critical. They get these naturally in a raw food diet but these nutrients are destroyed when you cook foods.

This is the biggest reason so many dogs are having ill health is because they are not getting these in there cooked food diet.

There are a couple of things I would suggest. First, since you started a few prescriptions and want the best food for her, I would recommend you find a holistic vet in your area.

They are trained in medicine like your regular vet and are also trained in healing through nutrition.

I suggest these guys because they can work with you and your vet to help get you on the best diet and off of the prescriptions.

There are many good premium dog foods out there, don't settle for those commercial brands.

Look at ones like Orijen, Blue Buffalo, Accana, The Great Life, Natural Balance, Wellness just to name a few.

You may have to contact a few to find who has the lowest sodium.

As for your supplements, the holistic vet would be able to help you there as well. They can also work with you to strengthen her vital force. This is the holistic approach to healing and works wonders.

As a rule of thumb, you use a 100 pound dog for a full human dose. So if she weighs 15 lbs you would use around a fifth of an adult dose.

I would imagine the holistic vets would get her on a raw food diet but you will need to talk with them.

I'm not a vet so I can't tell you to go off any prescriptions or foods that they tell you to go on. That's not ethical or probably legal.

You can look around your area to see if there is a local holistic vet. Ask around in the small independent pet foods stores that sell some of the above mentioned foods.

Some of these people might know the sodium levels on some of there foods.

This is a lot of new information for you, should you have any further questions or would like to me to clarify or go deeper into any of the above topics, please feel free to respond back and we can talk some more.

Roger McLeskey

Can answer all nutritional information for all dogs. Common problems with food, supplements, weight control, allergies, fleas, etc. Questions regarding raw food, homemade food, skin & coat issues, ect. Can't and/or will not do medicinal type questions that the vet takes care of.

I am certified in Dog Nutrition. Over 6 years now I've owned a natural pet food retail store. I've worked with hundreds of dogs and there owners to achieve better health. We promote a healthy balanced species related diet. This is the way nature made your pet to thrive. Fortunately for those who cannot or wish not to feed a raw based diet, there are alternatives with supplements and cooked food. Just don't let processed food be there only diet. Food is the most powerful medicine. Heal the core of the animal and the rest will take care of itself. We've turned the lives of many dogs around. There parents come back into the store and comment to us on how there dog acts like a real dog again. Our business is thriving and we continue to help many.

We work with Second Chance Companions, Must Love Dogs, members of ASPCA, HSUSA and started our own personal "Red Head Rescue" (non chartered) for stray dogs and rescue dogs from high kill shelters. We've been able to heal the many health ailments these dogs have and place them in good homes.

Dog Food Decoded - How To Choose A Health Diet For Your Dog and Your Budget - Available on Amazon in Kindle format or Paperback. Various articles for in store and web.

Certified - Canine Nutrition Level Three. Last 7 years I've been working with veterinarians, holistic veterinarians, attending seminars and best of all, real life experience with hundreds of customer dogs and cats. I've seen what works and does not work. Feeding a proper species appropriate diet works for most ailments. We've taken away our petís natural diet and caused most of todayís problems.

Many satisfied pet owners coming to our store for nutritional help and advice.