Dogs/leg pain

my Pekingese jumped off my couch and maid a cry and now is limping on her back leg.pretty sure she tore ligaments in knee,will this heal by itself?will she be able to walk on that leg ever again?

Hi Deana,

It's impossible to guess at what happened when your dog jumped off the couch and hurt herself. Since your dog is in pain, she needs to be examined by a veterinarian. Your dog probably requires pain medication.

Until your dog can be seen by a doctor, restrict her movement and especially prevent her from jumping onto or off of furniture or stairs. If your dog is crate trained, keep her in her crate. Also, until you see your vet give your aspirin for her pain. For a dog weighing 10-30 pounds, you can give 1 baby aspirin up to twice a day as needed. Give the baby aspirin with food, but if she starts to refuse food or begins to vomit, stop giving the baby aspirin. Aspirin has blood thinning properties, and continued usage can be dangerous for some dogs. For long term pain relief there are better alternatives your vet can give you.

Conservative, non-surgical treatment for torn ligament injuries are typically only used for dogs weighing less than 30 pounds, so you may be in luck. This includes rest and anti-inflammatory medications for six weeks to two months, followed by a gentle program of exercise and, if your dog is over weight, weight loss. Without surgery, the joint can be subject to degenerative changes, such as development of bone spurs, pain, arthritis, and a decreased range of motion.

If you are having trouble afford veterinary care, first talk to your regular vet. Ask your veterinarian if he or she will let you work out a payment plan. Many veterinarians are willing to work out a weekly or monthly payment plan so that you do not have to pay the entire cost of veterinary care up front. Another option is to contact local animal shelters or the Humane Society. Some shelters operate or know of local subsidized veterinary clinics or veterinary assistance programs. If you happen to live within driving distance to veterinary school, check with them to see if they offer discount services to the public. There are two special credit cards to apply for which help with medical bills (including veterinary bills) read about them here:

I hope I've been a help.
Best of luck,

To date, I've owned 7 dogs, all of which have lived into old age. Having cared for them in all stages of life, I feel I can offer sound advice to other pet owners, and people considering getting a dog. I am knowledgeable about the AKC (American Kennel Club) dog breeds, training and exercise, caring for sick and elderly pets, feeding, as well as many holistic treatments pets can benefit from. My only request is that you write me using standard English and punctuation.

My life experience in this field is more like "on the job training" rather than an actual degree in animal welfare. You may benefit from my experiences over the past 30 years. Aside from the dogs I've owned, I'm also involved in "breed rescue" and have fostered several dogs, all of which have been adopted to wonderful "forever homes". I find helping people who want a dog very rewarding.

Real life experience, based on over 30 years of dog ownership.