Dogs/oxalate crystals in urine

My 12 year old beagle was just diagnosed with oxalate crystals in his urine.  I don't like nor trust commercial pet food.  I have always cooked his food but need recipes for his new diet.  Could I also get a list of foods that he can eat so that I can make-up my own recipes too.  Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi Noel,

We've always believed and practice a raw food diet for our dogs (including three beagles).

This provides "live" nutrients and the high moisture diet that nature intended for them to eat and thrive on.

You're right about commercial foods not being good or balanced. There are however very good commercial raw food manufacturers that produce balanced diets that are complete and very easy to feed. You would do well for him to research some of those. I can make recommendations if you like.

We've healed many dogs and cats on the raw food diet from many health ailments.

Homemade diets are great for good health as long as they include all nutrients needed to make the diet balanced.

This includes calcium and other minerals that many home diets are lacking in.

If you cook your foods you MUST add certain supplements to make it complete. The two biggest ones are enzymes and probiotics. The lack of these in dogs diets are the main reason why so many are developing degenerative type diseases.

There are many good books on Amazon that include many good homemade diets. One holistic book we have and recommend is Dr. Pitcairn's located at

This book will help guide you in the proper care and feeding for these crystals.

There is also a website that will help you learn more about them. The more you know, the better you can help to control them. One is located at

On that site, you can click on the balanceit or petdiets links to get more information about homemade diets. You can select the health condition and other information and get recommendations.

This will be a lot easier for you than me trying to list out any homemade diets. As I said earlier, we believe in the raw food diet (balanced) to help heal the core health of a dog or cat and add supplements as needed for any other health conditions. The sites I recommend and books will fill in the blanks.

Another good suggestion is to seek the help of a holistic vet. These guys are great and are trained in healing through nutrition.

They can get your records through your current vet and help you transition and/or work with you on your homemade diet to control these crystals.

The key with him is to keep his diet very high moisture content. Homemade diets are great for this, raw is better. But both must be complete.

Keeping the urinary tract flushed is key to any type of crystals. Other supplements they recommend will help get rid of them and keep them from coming back.

I hope this information helps and you can keep you boy going strong. If you would like further information about transitioning to a raw food diet or would like to add anything or ask more questions, please feel free to respond back. I'll try to help all I can.

Roger McLeskey

Can answer all nutritional information for all dogs. Common problems with food, supplements, weight control, allergies, fleas, etc. Questions regarding raw food, homemade food, skin & coat issues, ect. Can't and/or will not do medicinal type questions that the vet takes care of.

I am certified in Dog Nutrition. Over 6 years now I've owned a natural pet food retail store. I've worked with hundreds of dogs and there owners to achieve better health. We promote a healthy balanced species related diet. This is the way nature made your pet to thrive. Fortunately for those who cannot or wish not to feed a raw based diet, there are alternatives with supplements and cooked food. Just don't let processed food be there only diet. Food is the most powerful medicine. Heal the core of the animal and the rest will take care of itself. We've turned the lives of many dogs around. There parents come back into the store and comment to us on how there dog acts like a real dog again. Our business is thriving and we continue to help many.

We work with Second Chance Companions, Must Love Dogs, members of ASPCA, HSUSA and started our own personal "Red Head Rescue" (non chartered) for stray dogs and rescue dogs from high kill shelters. We've been able to heal the many health ailments these dogs have and place them in good homes.

Dog Food Decoded - How To Choose A Health Diet For Your Dog and Your Budget - Available on Amazon in Kindle format or Paperback. Various articles for in store and web.

Certified - Canine Nutrition Level Three. Last 7 years I've been working with veterinarians, holistic veterinarians, attending seminars and best of all, real life experience with hundreds of customer dogs and cats. I've seen what works and does not work. Feeding a proper species appropriate diet works for most ailments. We've taken away our petís natural diet and caused most of todayís problems.

Many satisfied pet owners coming to our store for nutritional help and advice.