Dogs/about pomerenian dog

Hello Sir!
I have male and female  pomeranian dogs both in same house.recently the female has mated with him and she also given birth to puppies safely.But now i don't want them to get mate forever.she is now 2 years old and male is 2 year old.what should be better for them to live together?

Hi Prasanna,

It's really good that you're asking about this. It's not healthy for your female dog to produce litter after litter of puppies.

The ONLY way to ensure your male and female dogs will not produce another litter of puppies is to have at least one of them altered. This means to either spay your female dog, or neuter the male dog.  These are both surgical procedures your veterinarian would do. Neutering is a less complex surgery than spaying and it's usually less expensive, but there are benefits to both.

Spaying the female dog is a more complex surgery than neutering, but it will end her heat cycles, which will otherwise continue for her entire life. Should a male dog mount her (which is unlikely after being spayed), she would not get pregnant. Spaying helps prevent uterine infections and breast cancer, which is fatal in about half of the dogs that develop it.
As you know, an intact male dog will do just about anything to find a mate! Neutering will end this behavior. Your female dog, and any other female dog he encounters will be safe, even if he attempts to mount her. (Mounting behavior can continue in neutered males, but don't worry, nothing will come of it!) A neutered male dog will also be less inclined to roam away from home.

Spaying or neutering will NOT make your dogs fat or lazy, as many people believe. Lack of exercise and overfeeding will cause your dogs to gain weight, not spaying or neutering. Your dogs will remain fit and trim as long as you continue to provide exercise and monitor their food intake.

I hope I've been a help.
Best of luck,

To date, I've owned 7 dogs, all of which have lived into old age. Having cared for them in all stages of life, I feel I can offer sound advice to other pet owners, and people considering getting a dog. I am knowledgeable about the AKC (American Kennel Club) dog breeds, training and exercise, caring for sick and elderly pets, feeding, as well as many holistic treatments pets can benefit from. My only request is that you write me using standard English and punctuation.

My life experience in this field is more like "on the job training" rather than an actual degree in animal welfare. You may benefit from my experiences over the past 30 years. Aside from the dogs I've owned, I'm also involved in "breed rescue" and have fostered several dogs, all of which have been adopted to wonderful "forever homes". I find helping people who want a dog very rewarding.

Real life experience, based on over 30 years of dog ownership.