Dogs/Uncontrollable urination

Question
My boxer is 10 years old and is having a problem with excessive drinking and uncontrollable urination.  This has been going on for two days/nights I do not have any money and need to know if there is a home remedy I can use?

Answer

Hi Elaine,

Excessive drinking paired with excessive urination are symptoms of several conditions: diabetes, kidney failure, kidney infection, Cushing’s Disease and liver disease. Treatments will vary depending on what your dog's condition actually is, but you need to get a diagnosis first. There may be home remedies to use, or pair with medication, but that all hinges on the diagnosis.

You should not put off having your dog examined by a veterinarian, since any of these conditions could be serious.  If you are having trouble afford veterinary care, first talk to your regular vet. Ask your veterinarian if he or she will let you work out a payment plan. Many veterinarians are willing to work out a weekly or monthly payment plan so that you do not have to pay the entire cost of veterinary care up front. Another option is to contact local animal shelters or the Humane Society. Some shelters operate or know of local subsidized veterinary clinics or veterinary assistance programs. If you happen to live within driving distance to veterinary school, check with them to see if they offer discount services to the public. There are two special credit cards to apply for which help with medical bills (including veterinary bills) read about them here:

http://www.carecredit.com
http://www.healthcard.citicards.com

I hope I've been a help.
Best of luck,
Patti  

Dogs

Patti