Dogs/crusty nose and boogers

Question
She is having a tough time breathing cause the boogers r dry and so is her nose not running just dry what can I do

Answer
Hi Stacey,

First of all, I have to recommend you see a vet to make sure there are no underlying causes.

However, I can tell you a few things that may be going on and you can decide from there.

This is allergy season. Many dogs suffer from common airborne allergies as people do. We've seen this a lot in the past.

Not only airborne allergies can cause this but other contact type allergies including cleaners, lawn chemicals, etc.

Dogs also get their noses full of dirt and things. Make sure her nose is cleaned out and there are no obstructions.

As mentioned above, it can be a sign of an underlying condition.

For immediate relief of an allergy, many vets recommend Benadryl. A typical dosage is usually 1mg per pound every 8 hours or three times per day.

We've also used it for bee stings when our dachshund got a big swollen lip.

Food allergies can also play havoc on the skin and coat, biting at the feet, a lot of scratching, loss of fur and the worse part is a weakened immune system.

A weak immune system is what typically causes dogs to be sensitive to human type allergies.

Their diet is key to good health and a strong immune system. This is my specialty and what I've had a lot of success with in helping people.

So we need to make sure she is not suffering from any underlying conditions to begin with. If she is not acting right, not eating normally, not drinking normally, not as active or anything else that seems off, I would get her into the vet for a check up.

If you suspect it just might be an allergy, you can try the Benadryl and see if that gives her any relief.

If you want me to evaluate her diet and make recommendations, I would be happy to do so. Just reply back to this question and let me know everything that is in her diet now, including brand names.

From that I can tell if some of her problems may be coming from the diet and make some suggestions for changes and adding a few supplements that make a BIG difference in her overall health.

It also helps if you let me or anyone you communicate with, her age, breed and any other health conditions present or in the past.

The number one thing I recommend to everyone is that they include enzymes and probiotics in their pets diet. This is very critical for good, long-lasting health.

The commercial cooked diets are void of these and makes the nutrition incomplete and not balanced. This is usually evident in most dogs as they age.

I hope this helps some, if you have anything else you want to add or if you want me to evaluate her diet, just respond back.

Roger

Dogs

Roger McLeskey