Dogs/English Bulldogs

Question
My English Bulldog as a problem her back leg. She is about 60 pounds and pretty fat. How could I make her leg better?

Answer

Hi Caleb,

A problem with a back leg can be from numerous causes, and treatments will vary depending on what the problem is. Your dog needs to be examined by a veterinarian so that her condition can be properly diagnosed before she can get the correct treatment.

If you are having trouble affording veterinary care, first talk to your regular vet. Ask your veterinarian if he or she will let you work out a payment plan. Many veterinarians are willing to work out a weekly or monthly payment plan so that you do not have to pay the entire cost of veterinary care up front. Another option is to contact local animal shelters or the Humane Society. Some shelters operate or know of local subsidized veterinary clinics or veterinary assistance programs. If you happen to live within driving distance to veterinary school, check with them to see if they offer discount services to the public. There are two special credit cards to apply for which help with medical bills (including veterinary bills) read about them here:

http://www.carecredit.com
http://www.healthcard.citicards.com

Your dog will really benefit from losing weight, no matter what condition is effecting her back leg. Dogs who are overweight develop health issues due to the added stress on their heart, lungs, liver, kidneys, and joints. Bulldogs because of their flat faces can develop breathing difficulties when they're overweight.
In your effort to get your dog to lose weight, don't give her human foods or between meal snacks. If you feel that you must give between meal snacks, give your dog a baby carrot or two, an apple wedge (no seeds), or a little banana. Dogs usually LOVE these as treats, they don't know they're healthy and fat-free, they only know they taste good.
Either cut down on the food you're currently feeding your dog (she's getting too much if she's gaining weight) or consider changing your dog's food to a "lite" dog food. Keep in mind that a change of diet needs to be done gradually over a period of 5-7 days, or your dog could develop an upset stomach or diarrhea due to an abrupt change of diet.

I hope I've been a help.
Best of luck,

Patti

Dogs

Patti