You are here:

Dogs/my puppy ate ant poison


If my puppy sniffed or ate some of my neighbors ant poison,would it kill him or make him very sick


Hi Matthew,

If your think your puppy ate anything dangerous, you should either contact your vet's office, or the ASPCA poison control number (888-426-4435. There is a fee for the call). Waiting for a response from an Internet helpline could mean life or death for your puppy.

You didn't say which brand of ant poison your think your puppy might have eaten, or what the active ingredient is in the brand. Something like Arsenic would be very dangerous, while Boric Acid would not be toxic.

If your puppy is acting lethargic, or has been vomiting, has excess mucus or blood in his stool, or isn't showing an interest in eating, hopefully you've already called your vet's office. If your puppy is acting just fine, eating and drinking like normal, and isn't vomiting, chances are you got off really lucky. Keep a closer eye on your puppy so there won't be a next time.

Best of luck,



All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




To date, I've owned 7 dogs, all of which have lived into old age. Having cared for them in all stages of life, I feel I can offer sound advice to other pet owners, and people considering getting a dog. I am knowledgeable about the AKC (American Kennel Club) dog breeds, training and exercise, caring for sick and elderly pets, feeding, as well as many holistic treatments pets can benefit from. My only request is that you write me using standard English and punctuation.


My life experience in this field is more like "on the job training" rather than an actual degree in animal welfare. You may benefit from my experiences over the past 30 years. Aside from the dogs I've owned, I'm also involved in "breed rescue" and have fostered several dogs, all of which have been adopted to wonderful "forever homes". I find helping people who want a dog very rewarding.

Real life experience, based on over 30 years of dog ownership.

©2017 All rights reserved.