Dogs/Regarding Dog Mating

Question
My female dog came into heat today ( 04/25/2013 ) ..

1) Can you tell me on which days it is advisable to mate her to ensure successful conception ???

2) I add 5 ml of a ( Multi-Vitamin & Amino Acids ) tonic and 5 ml of a Coat Conditioner in her diet daily ... Is it advisable to continue the tonics prior and post mating ???

Pranesh

Answer

Hi Pranesh,

You didn't say how old your female dog is. It's best to breed a female dog for the first time at her second heat cycle, and if she's an older dog not after six or seven (at the maximum!) years of age.

The first four days after she has stopped bleeding is usually when a female dog will be most likely to conceive. This can be anywhere from 4-10 days from the start of her cycle, you might notice that the vaginal discharge has become watery at this point. This marks her most fertile stage of the cycle, and at this time she will usually become receptive to breeding and will be most likely to conceive. If you can't tell by looking at the discharge, just put a male dog with her. A female will not allow a male to mount her until she's at the right point in her heat cycle, and a male dog will also act very receptive to breeding at this point. Many veterinarians recommend that females be bred three times: on the 2nd, 4th and 6th day of when she'll stand and allow a male to mount her.

Once your dog become pregnant she will require a change of diet (and to continue that diet until her puppies are weaned, at around 5 weeks of age). Many breeders feed their pregnant dogs a commercial puppy food because it has the extra nutrition a pregnant/nursing dog needs. You can read about a pregnant dog's special nutritional needs here:
http://classic.akc.org/breeders/resp_breeding/Articles/careandfeeding.cfm

Don't add any supplements or vitamins to your pregnant dog's diet unless specifically instructed to by your veterinarian. Larger amounts of certain vitamins or minerals can have devastating effects on your dog and her unborn pups. For example, giving calcium, especially late in pregnancy, has been linked to increasing the risk of Eclampsia (low blood calcium) in nursing dogs. Excess calcium has also been linked to difficult deliveries, soft tissue calcium deposits in the puppies and certain joint abnormalities in the pups.

It's wise to have a female dog examined by a veterinarian prior to breeding, and again at during her pregnancy. A vet exam at around 28 days after breeding should be able to tell you how many pups are in the litter. Be sure to ask your vet about diet if you have questions.

I hope I've been a help.
Best of luck,

Patti  

Dogs

Patti