Dogs/Samoyed vs. Goldendoodle

I am looking into buying a dog/puppy, but I live in a household that would require the animal to be hypoallergenic. After researching many different breeds, I have narrowed the choices down to the Samoyed and the Goldendoodle. While web sites said many different things about both breeds, a few of them contradicted each other, and now I am not quite sure what to believe. I don't know if you have any experience with either of these breeds, but I am basically looking for an intelligent, hypoallergenic, friendly, quiet, large dog. Web sites have told me that both of these breeds can have these traits, but others have said neither breed have some of these qualities. If you can, I would appreciate some sure facts about these two dog breeds. My family is leaning toward the Samoyed for looks, but that is not the dog for us if it does not posses any of the above traits. We live in a climate that has hot summers and cold winters if that is important. Thank you for your time.
(P.S. I did not find anything about the breeds in water, but we love swimming in the lake, and I am sure a water-loving breed would only increase our fun!)

Hi Maureen,

Hypoallergenic means "not so much allergenic". A thing that doesn't produce an allergic response is called "anallergenic". With that in mind- despite all the hype, there is no such thing as a true hypoallergenic dog.

The levels of allergens- usually a protein in the dog's saliva and/or dander cause an allergic response. These proteins will exude through the dog's skin, which is why hair length isn't always a factor, varies from dog to dog. The breed of dog isn't necessarily a significant factor. This is why a person can still be allergic to a hairless dog.

That said, there are some dog breeds that have become known as being "hypoallergenic" because they seem to be better tolerated by people with allergies. Because every person will have his or her own degree of reactivity to a dog you can't go by any list of hypoallergenic dogs. To know if an individual dog causes an allergic response, you need to spend time with that specific dog. If you're buying from a breeder, they might be sensitive to your needs and allow you to "try out" a dog to see how you react to it. Please read more here:

You can see a list dogs considered to be hypoallergenic here:

Both the Samoyed breed and Goldendoodles show up on lists of hypoallergenic dog breeds. I should mention that Goldendoodles are not a true breed of dog, they are a popular mix of a Golden Retriever and a Poodle. Because they are not a true breed of dog, there aren't standards in their size or coat. Many times a Poodle is used as one of the dogs in hypoallergenic mixed breed because they are often tolerated by allergic people, and because their hair characteristics can be inherited by it's offspring. But remember, because it's not a true breed with breed standards, some Goldendoodles have inherited the allergens of their Golden Retriever parent.

A Goldendoodle may work for you, but so might a Standard Poodle (since you'd like a large dog). Many of the wire-haired breeds are often tolerated. Other larger breeds on the hypoallergenic list I mentioned above are:

Airedale Terrier
Bouvier des Flandres
Doodleman Pinscher (a Poodle mix breed)
Giant Schnauzer
Labradoodle (a Poodle mix breed)
Portuguese Water Dog
Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

How friendly any dog is depends on the individual dog, and how well it's been socialized. Don't go by breed description alone. The same with a dog that's quiet. More likely than not, "quiet" needs to be taught, as do the other behaviors which makes it pleasant to have an animal in the home. Loving the water doesn't necessarily come naturally to every dog, this is another thing you should evaluate an individual dog for.

How a dog "looks" should be lower down on your priorities. One of the most important things that shouldn't be overlooked because you're concentrating on a dog/puppy that is good for an allergy sufferer, is it's temperament. A dog breed description is only half of the story. Each dog is an individual, in any given breed there are plenty of dogs that aren't "breed standard". This means there are lots of aggressive Golden Retrievers, and just as many Pit Bulls who are goofy couch potatoes. You can read more about the importance of temperament here, and how to judge:

I hope I've been a help. Feel free to get back to me if I can be of further help.
Best of luck!

To date, I've owned 7 dogs, all of which have lived into old age. Having cared for them in all stages of life, I feel I can offer sound advice to other pet owners, and people considering getting a dog. I am knowledgeable about the AKC (American Kennel Club) dog breeds, training and exercise, caring for sick and elderly pets, feeding, as well as many holistic treatments pets can benefit from. My only request is that you write me using standard English and punctuation.

My life experience in this field is more like "on the job training" rather than an actual degree in animal welfare. You may benefit from my experiences over the past 30 years. Aside from the dogs I've owned, I'm also involved in "breed rescue" and have fostered several dogs, all of which have been adopted to wonderful "forever homes". I find helping people who want a dog very rewarding.

Real life experience, based on over 30 years of dog ownership.