Dogs/youngest pack member (6yr old) had 1st litter of pup

QUESTION: 3 dogs in the pack. Chihuahua, 14 yrs. Rottweiler/beagle mix, 11 years. Mama is a whippet/chihuahua.  Older two r low energy she's medium energy and we've had them their whole lives together.  We had a surprise litter. First and only since i can't contain her ill be spaying her. Problem is she is suddenly vicious of both other dogs. She has a safe secure whelping box all by herself and she wants to come out n hang out but immediately attacks any dog she sees first. No dogs in sight and no drama she comes out gets her whelping box cleaned no possesiveness towards us humans but any way i can get her to see her brother and sister won't hurt her pups just like they didn't hurt her when she was 3 weeks old.. thank you in advance love, peace and happiness:) especially for pit bulls:))

Hi Shaina,

Actually, the dog that just had the litter should be completely isolated from the other dogs in your home. Continue to keep other dogs away from your mother dog until 3 weeks after delivery to prevent Herpes infection. Herpes is spread by sniffing and licking between two dogs. Adult dogs rarely have any symptoms but the newborn or unborn puppies generally die.

When the pups are finally weaned at around five weeks of age would be the time to have your mama dog spayed.

Best of luck,

QUESTION: Thank you so much for your speedy response.. my dogs are family and i have zero knowledge about dog pregnancy and you've been a Huge help. I had no clue dogs got herpes!! Lenny the new mommy thanks you as well:)

Hello again,

Canine herpes isn't like human herpes.  Canine herpes virus is also known as "fading puppy syndrom". While adult dogs infected with canine herpes usually do not show any symptoms, the infection is the leading cause of death in newborn puppies. One puppy in a litter may be affected, and death may occur abruptly, with little or no warning, or an entire litter may perish within a 24-hour period. If the disease is contracted when the puppies are older than three weeks, it is often less severe. Older puppies have a much better chance of survival, but may have long-term effects of a persistent canine herpes infection.

Best of luck to you and Lenny!

To date, I've owned 7 dogs, all of which have lived into old age. Having cared for them in all stages of life, I feel I can offer sound advice to other pet owners, and people considering getting a dog. I am knowledgeable about the AKC (American Kennel Club) dog breeds, training and exercise, caring for sick and elderly pets, feeding, as well as many holistic treatments pets can benefit from. My only request is that you write me using standard English and punctuation.

My life experience in this field is more like "on the job training" rather than an actual degree in animal welfare. You may benefit from my experiences over the past 30 years. Aside from the dogs I've owned, I'm also involved in "breed rescue" and have fostered several dogs, all of which have been adopted to wonderful "forever homes". I find helping people who want a dog very rewarding.

Real life experience, based on over 30 years of dog ownership.