Dogs/cocker spaniel rash

Question
Hello Patti.I have a 7 year old cocker spaniel named Tiger.On Sunday he was  rolling on the grass and things  got stuck on his hair,which became matted,he did not let me remove it,yesterday I gave him a bath with oatmeal champoo  and could not untangle the mess.Today his skin was red seems like he was scratching a lot,I have shaved thar area in his leg but it looks bad.Please help!I have called his vet but he is closed until Monday.
Thank you.
Corina Nieves

Answer

Hi Corina

It's good you were able to shave your dog's leg in the area where something got stuck in his hair, and that you'll be taking your dog to the vet, as that's what he needs.

Until you can get him to the vet, first try washing the effected area off, if you can't get your dog in a tub, you can just use a clean wash cloth to wet the area, and rinse it off. Cool water is more soothing to an itch than warm, pat the area dry, rubbing will excite the itch. You could also add a handful of ground oatmeal to the dog's soaking water to help ease some of the irritation and will provide a thin lubricant on the skin to keep it from drying out. Regular or quick-cooking oats may be used after grinding them to a fine powder in a blender or food processor.

If the itching and irritation are bad, it's safe to give your dog Benadryl (or the generic form, which is Diphenhydramine). This medication is an antihistamine that helps relieve swellings and itching from allergic reactions. The dose is one milligram for every pound given twice daily, if needed. If your dog weighs 25 pounds, give 25 milligrams (1 adult capsule). Use only "regular" Benadryl, not extra-strength. Benadryl might make your dog drowsy.

Try applying 100% pure Aloe Vera gel to the effected area. You can use this along with the Benadryl. You can buy this at most pharmacies, but if you happen to have an Aloe Plant, just snap off a branch and apply the gel that oozes out. If you buy it, make sure you get 100% pure. It's safe if your dog licks it off, though you want it to stay on for as long as possible to do some good. Try applying it just before you take your dog out for a walk, so it's not immediately licked off. Alternatively, you can dab on some Witch Hazel directly onto the irritated area. Repeat this process several times a day until your dog stops scratching.

I hope this helps, and your dog is feeling better soon!
Best of luck,

Patti

Dogs

Patti