Dogs/Conjunctivitis in Dogs

Question
Camo
Camo  

Maggie
Maggie  
Hello, I have 3 dogs: a  10 month old male foxhound (Camo), an 8 year old female German Shepard/Black lab (Maggie), and a 12 year old male Rottweiler/black lab (Dobie).
Recently, Camo got pink eye and gave it to Maggie. I took them to the vet and got them medicine, it was prescribed for 3x/day for a week. I didn't miss a single round, but after it was done, Maggie was fine, but Camo only seemed to get a little better, and when I stopped giving him medicine, it just came back again.
So I got more medicine from the vet and did it for another week (Maggie still was fine) and then a few days after the week was up, he still had it. And now Maggie has it again too.

I'm not sure what to do now. I do not want to go to the vet again, because I have gone so much and spent so much money on Camo recently. I would go if I knew it would help him, but it hasn't.
So what do you think I should do? are there any other alternative options?

More info: Camo came from the humane society. He is mainly white with brown speckles; mainly pink skin. His eye discharge starts off a white/yellow color and turns green when dried. I wipe it off with a warm, wet towel often. I believe that Dobie hasn't gotten it because he doesn't play with the other two, whereas they wrestle all the time. Camo has always had it in both eyes, while Maggie got it in one eye and then the other a few days later and now she only has it in one eye. They all currently eat pedigree (I know, not the best for them, but all other food makes Dobie's eyes swell shut) Dobie also has hot spots on his ankles and tail. Maggie's eyes are pink, but Camo's are only sometimes. There is not cobble-stone like surface on their eyes. They are eating as well as defecating normally.

Please let me know if I can specify anything!
Thank you
(I attached a couple of pictures to give you a visual

Answer

Hi Melissa

I can understand wanting to avoid additional vet bills.
It would help to know the form of conjunctivitis that's making the rounds in your home: bacterial conjunctivitis, or viral. Both of these forms are contagious, as you no doubt are aware at this point. Typically, treatment for conjunctivitis is based on the type of conjunctivitis the dog has.

The home treatment for Conjunctivitis involves relieving discharge by flushing the eye twice a day with an eyewash:

1 quart (4 cups) of water boiling water
1 tablespoon medicinal-quality boric acid powder (not the kind used to kill bugs!)
Measuring spoon
Sterile cotton balls or pads
Small clean bowl

Add one level tablespoon of boric acid powder to four cups of boiling water. Stir until dissolved. Let cool to a lukewarm temperature.
Pour 1/4 cup of the cooled solution into a small clean bowl.
Wash your hands, then soak a sterile cotton ball in the solution and apply to your dogs eyes, cleaning away discharge. Throw used cotton balls away after one use. Repeat using new cotton ball until all the solution in the bowl is used up. Try to flood the eye with the solution. Wipe your dogs face(s) with a clean towel.
Even if only one eye seems affected, prevent the infection from spreading by applying the solution to both eyes. Repeat this procedure at least twice a day, in the morning and before bed at night. Store the unused portions of eyewash in an airtight container. If during the day there is an excess of discharge, clean it up by using a sterile saline solution on a cotton ball. It can take two or three days to resolve the infection using this treatment. Store the unused solution in a sealed jar and store it at room temperature. Keep it closed when not in use and take care not to contaminate any remaining solution. Do not use a stronger solution than recommended.

If you don't see improvement after three days of this treatment, or if your dog's symptoms change or worsen, know that you've gave it a good shot, but it's then time take them back to the vet.

Sometimes the immune system of the dog develops a negative reaction to a stimulus like dust or pollen, or irritants such as smoke, mistaking this for an infectious agent. The immune system produces histamines which cause the inflammation of the eye's conjunctiva. It can be helpful to support your dog's immune system by adding an antioxidant supplement and Omega 3 and 6 fatty acid supplement to your dog's diet. Two really good antioxidants to consider are Cell Advance 880, or Antioxidant Boost 880.

I hope I've been a help. Feel free to get back to me if I can be of further help.
Best of luck,

Patti
(and thanks for the pictures, your dogs are beautiful)  

Dogs

Patti