Dogs/about my dog

Hello im amanda i just had a question maybe you could help ,i just bought a puppy today ,they told me he was a chihuahua but i think he could be mixed? He looks like he is mixed with a miniatur pincher because of his coat  im not sure .his ears are floppy and im just trying to figure it out he is 7 weeks old.

Hi Amanda,

He does look chihuahua but we've seen them mixed with so many other dogs. One of the people in a rescue group we are forming specializes in rescuing chihuahua's. So we've sees some mixed with a lot of dogs because they are so popular.

I wouldn't let just the coat make that determination as a quick google search on black chihuahua pups reveals this,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.46340616,d.cGE&biw=1600&bih=893&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=RvSQUZKqGMH9igK92YGQAg.

If you really wanted to find out everything that he may be mixed with, there is a DNA test kit you can get at local natural food stores or order online. You take a sample and send it in and they produce a specialized report on any breed he may be mixed with.

My expertise on this forum is in dog nutrition. Should you want an expert opinion on his diet, just respond back and I'll be happy to help.

Just remember, the basis of a long healthy life is in the diet. Do NOT feed commercial brands of dog foods such as Purina, Science Diet, Iamms, Beneful, etc. Feed premium foods and make sure they are puppy foods.

Since this is a small dog, you can feed mostly canned foods as this is far better for him than dry. We don't feed dry to our dogs any more. Dogs need a high moisture diet, this is very important.

Secondly, the number one thing you can do for any dog is supplementing with enzymes and probiotics.

The lack of these in their diets are the reason so many dogs develop degenerative type diseases. Please research it. You can just get a powder supplement and sprinkle on each meal. This is VERY important that most people just don't know about.

Animal essentials makes a good one that contains both enzymes and probiotics in one. Look them up.

Of course the best diet in the world for him or any dog is their natural diet of raw foods. This gives them the "live" nutrients and high moisture for long healthy lives. There are commercially made raw foods for dogs that making feeding this style very easy to do.

You would do very well to research that as well. It will make a difference in his good health and longevity.

We feed exclusively raw foods to our dogs and we still add more enzymes and probiotics as they are that important.

If I can help you with any diet questions, please let me know.

Roger McLeskey

Can answer all nutritional information for all dogs. Common problems with food, supplements, weight control, allergies, fleas, etc. Questions regarding raw food, homemade food, skin & coat issues, ect. Can't and/or will not do medicinal type questions that the vet takes care of.

I am certified in Dog Nutrition. Over 6 years now I've owned a natural pet food retail store. I've worked with hundreds of dogs and there owners to achieve better health. We promote a healthy balanced species related diet. This is the way nature made your pet to thrive. Fortunately for those who cannot or wish not to feed a raw based diet, there are alternatives with supplements and cooked food. Just don't let processed food be there only diet. Food is the most powerful medicine. Heal the core of the animal and the rest will take care of itself. We've turned the lives of many dogs around. There parents come back into the store and comment to us on how there dog acts like a real dog again. Our business is thriving and we continue to help many.

We work with Second Chance Companions, Must Love Dogs, members of ASPCA, HSUSA and started our own personal "Red Head Rescue" (non chartered) for stray dogs and rescue dogs from high kill shelters. We've been able to heal the many health ailments these dogs have and place them in good homes.

Dog Food Decoded - How To Choose A Health Diet For Your Dog and Your Budget - Available on Amazon in Kindle format or Paperback. Various articles for in store and web.

Certified - Canine Nutrition Level Three. Last 7 years I've been working with veterinarians, holistic veterinarians, attending seminars and best of all, real life experience with hundreds of customer dogs and cats. I've seen what works and does not work. Feeding a proper species appropriate diet works for most ailments. We've taken away our pet’s natural diet and caused most of today’s problems.

Many satisfied pet owners coming to our store for nutritional help and advice.