Dogs/dog allergies and food.

I believe my 3 yr. old Shep/hound mix dog is allergic to his food.  I changed from Beneful when he was about one yr. old, as I was told it was mostly fillers.  But, no allergic reaction to it.  I changed to Performatrin Chicken and Rice for quality.  He started scratching and chewing all over himself day and night, summer and winter.  Two days ago, I changed to Performatrin Ultra Grain-free (Salmon, Turkey and Duck).  So far, he is still scratching and chewing a lot!!  I also gave him one 25 mg. Benedryl tablet about an hour ago to see if that would help him.  Since, he wasn't allergic on Beneful Chicken, even with all the fillers, would it be all right to go back to that?  The other foods are terribly expensive, for me.  Could the purer foods be causing his allergic reaction and itchy skin?  I have also tried the sprays for allergic and dry skin on dogs.  They don't help.  He doesn't pull out his hair - just chews and scratches from his ears, to the back of his hind legs, and chest and belly.  My neighbor fed their dog Beneful all her life (18 yrs.), and she was very healthy until the end.  Any help or ideas?  I can't afford skin scraping at the Vets.

Hi Marian,

I think I just answered your other question. Only this time it looks like you are mentioning name brands.

Let me add to my answer then.

Beneful is one of the worst rated foods around. It is chocked full of unhealthy grains that will and does cause food allergies. Do NOT go back to this whatever you do.

Like I mentioned before, give this new food a chance for a while and add the things I mentioned in the other response. This will make a big difference.

You should notice that you will feed much less of the grain free foods. That means the bad will last longer and the "cost per feeding" will be equililent to the cheaper foods.

We did a study on the "cost per feeding" on Beneful and some other premium foods. The cost difference was within a penny or two per feeding.

But the big difference will be in vet bills and your dogs health. DO NOT go back to Beneful. That's what weakened his immune system to start all this.

Please read my first response and give him moist type foods when and if you can. They are so much better for him and his digestive system.

Let me know if there is anything else,

Roger McLeskey

Can answer all nutritional information for all dogs. Common problems with food, supplements, weight control, allergies, fleas, etc. Questions regarding raw food, homemade food, skin & coat issues, ect. Can't and/or will not do medicinal type questions that the vet takes care of.

I am certified in Dog Nutrition. Over 6 years now I've owned a natural pet food retail store. I've worked with hundreds of dogs and there owners to achieve better health. We promote a healthy balanced species related diet. This is the way nature made your pet to thrive. Fortunately for those who cannot or wish not to feed a raw based diet, there are alternatives with supplements and cooked food. Just don't let processed food be there only diet. Food is the most powerful medicine. Heal the core of the animal and the rest will take care of itself. We've turned the lives of many dogs around. There parents come back into the store and comment to us on how there dog acts like a real dog again. Our business is thriving and we continue to help many.

We work with Second Chance Companions, Must Love Dogs, members of ASPCA, HSUSA and started our own personal "Red Head Rescue" (non chartered) for stray dogs and rescue dogs from high kill shelters. We've been able to heal the many health ailments these dogs have and place them in good homes.

Dog Food Decoded - How To Choose A Health Diet For Your Dog and Your Budget - Available on Amazon in Kindle format or Paperback. Various articles for in store and web.

Certified - Canine Nutrition Level Three. Last 7 years I've been working with veterinarians, holistic veterinarians, attending seminars and best of all, real life experience with hundreds of customer dogs and cats. I've seen what works and does not work. Feeding a proper species appropriate diet works for most ailments. We've taken away our petís natural diet and caused most of todayís problems.

Many satisfied pet owners coming to our store for nutritional help and advice.