Dogs/my dog urinates in the house

Question
cloudy
cloudy  
Hi i really am at a loss here.. im stuck and i dont no what else to do.. Iv googled and asked so many people asnd no-one has an answer for me... heres my story. My partners mum is a 'dog breeder' Whippets and cocker spaniels.. (show dogs mostly)'Cloudy' is the dog i have- 1yr 3months old male whippet.Cloudy began his life in a dog run. He is an Australian champion show dog. We used to look after him quite regularly- on a weekly basis take him for the night. He was the perfect dog never did anything wrong. Always went to thye toilet outside came to us and was generally just the best. After many month i fell in love with this dog and his owner (my partners mum) saw the bond that was created between the 3 of us. He followed me everywhere (still does). So Kerry said get some fences up and you can have him. So we did- i was so excited my first dog- of my own. We have now had cloudy living at home with us for just over 3months... I have never been a dog person but i fell in love with this one... i absolutly adore this dog- i cried when i had to leave him for the wknd cos i didnt want to be away from him. But im reaching my limits. Since we first got cloudy the dog- he has been dpoing his 'business' inside he no longer poos in the house but pees daily.... but only when its WET outside... he does not like the rain- We have a pergola which we dont mind if he goes out there on the pavers but he wont even do that.. i have tried rewarding him with treats when he goes outside all sorts of punishments- (staying outside overnight, yelling, rubbing his nose in it etc)  Also he is very scared of my partner.. he barks at him, runs away from him, will never come to his name. Braden went to tell him off tuesday, and he bit his arm (as he new what wasw coming a smack)When we have visitors he will just uncontrollably shake to ther point where i think he might have a heart attack.. he barks at visitors also- he is scared of noises- when he comes inside occasionally his toes hit the door and makes a noise he scares himself and runs outside in fright He paces alot walking around and around and will not sit unless he is sleeping. so in summary 1. urinates in the house (not in same place, always somewhere different) he has even began cocking his leg on my new lounge 2. wont come to us anymore because he thinks he is in trouble 3. cant have visitors because he barks at them/ or shakes uncontrollably 4.  loud noises and us moving scare him(if we get up from the couch or put our hand out to pat him)

I got some advise from a dog behaviour lady and she said male whippets at this age are prone to urinate in the house as they are marking their territory. She said he will continue to do it- de-sexing him could fix the problem,  but we can't do that as he is going to be a stud dog- for shows...

. We leave the door open at all times so he can go out when he likes it still doesn't help. .

Answer
Hello,
First of all  I am willing to bet a portion of my life that you have somehow called the dog over to show him what he has done and then punished him or smacked him.  Doing this has now taught him to Never trust you again.  Never call a dog to you and punish him.  It is going to be a hard road back to getting him to trust you.
Second  never strike a whippet they are much to emotionally fragile.  They can't even stand being yelled at.  You are going to have to change direction to a more positive type of atmosphere and you are hearing this from a trainer who does NOT believe in complete positive training.  I am an eclectic trainer.
Third, you are going to have go back to basic training on his house breaking.  Get a crate and keep him in it on rainy days when you are not there, and put him on a leash that is tied to your belt on days when you are there.  This way you can PREVENT the bad behavior before it happens.  This will take about a month or two for him to get the message and may even take longer depending on how emotionally fearful he has become.
Four, you are to ignore him complete except for soft commands and leading him to and from the places you want him to be.  When you sleep he is to be in the crate.  If you take him out and he doesn't go to the bathroom, he goes into the crate.  At least if he goes in the crate it is easier clean up.
Not only does he sound upset, he sounds totally confused about what he thinks you want him to do or what he is supposed to do.  Here is how dogs think about house breaking.  They are very concrete and cannot generalize.  Which means you cannot correct him for peeing in the kitchen and he will know not to pee in the bedroom.  Your corrections from now on will be a snap on the leash (NO ANGER!!!!) and a medium voice "no" then take him outside immediately.  He probably won't go, but just keep repeating the process until he does.
Five, and this is very important.  Your contact with your dog during these two months will be when you are teaching him commands like "sit, stay, down."  You will also eat before he does, and you will go in and out of doors before he does.  Why?  because you have to become complete alpha and show him that you are going to take charge and take CARE of him.  He needs to be taken care of he is in panic mode which is why he is shaking and biting.  Your partner must read this or your dog will be ruined.  The dog cannot take aggression towards him, yet you cannot back down if he is aggressive toward you so, you must not let it escalate to that situation ever again. I hope this helps.  Please take this advice and I am here if you need me.
Nancy

Dogs will naturally keep their dens clean, it is an instinct.  When they are babies they will try and get away from the sleeping area and then go to the bathroom.  The older and stronger they get, the further they go away from the sleeping area to go to the bathroom. When a dog is crate trained and left in the crate longer than his physical ability to “hold it”, they are forced to go to the bathroom in their den and will adapt to that way of thinking.  The dog must now be housebroken starting from the beginning. They must learn to keep their bed clean again by being confined again to a room (not a crate) where there is a bed and pads/papers  so they can start to keep their bed/den clean.  An ex-pen can be used also.  This must be followed up with constant surveillance until the dog is stable in their habits.  
The premise is to give your pup a choice of going to the bathroom in their bed or on the papers/pads you have provided.  Put a bed on one end inside a room (a laundry room or bathroom or kitchen will do) or ex-pen.  Leave six inches between the bed and the papers and put the pads/papers down inside the whole rest of room/pen….  I recommend the puppy pads with the housebreaking scent to start, then you can switch to any kind of papers.    Make sure the bed is washed and clean…maybe even a new bed. Now when he/she is left in there she has the ability to pee somewhere other than her bed…Also she is used to smelling like her bed, she must be washed as well.  Otherwise she will try to make the bed smell as she does.  As the days go by, and once she starts going on the papers instead of the bed, I want you to pick up a small portion of the papers and reduce the size of where she can go, leaving more space between the bed and the pads.  As she learns to go more and more on the pads, you will be able to pick up more until you are down to one pad.  This pad can now be put near a door and eventually outside the door.   She must be praised when she goes on the papers.
At the same time you are doing this you will continue to take her out and treat her when she goes outside.    Make sure to read all of this so you understand more on how a dog thinks.
A common mistake is made if you have a dog confined to a bathroom or kitchen area, and he starts becoming housebroken in that area, most people think that  “WOW!  MY DOG IS HOUSE BROKEN AND HE CAN NOW HAVE FREE RUN OF THE HOUSE”.   NO!!! You may be thinking that, but the dog is thinking (when he gets out of the room) “I am out of my den now so I can go to the bathroom here.”  Do you see how they think?  They keep their den clean.  So you have to teach them that the whole house is their den, one room at a time, not just the kitchen.  To do this, you must  housebreak…. dogs   in each room of your house..  When first introduced to new rooms, the dog should be kept on a leash which is attached to your waist.  This way you can correct  or praise the minute your dog even sniffs.
Another mistake that is made, is in the mornings….when a dog first gets up, he has to go relieve his bladder.  So we let them out and he urinates outside or on the paper/pad.   During the time he was sleeping, his bladder filled. When it filled, his kidneys said  “Oh the bladder is filled I better not send anymore urine there until he empties it.   So in the morning the bladder is emptied and the kidneys immediately start sending the stored up urine back to the bladder.  Sooooooo within about 20 minutes or maybe less,  the dog has to go again.  And if you are not there to let him out, he might just go wherever he is at the moment.  Keep him with you after he gets up.  Keep watching him so you can watch for signs of restlessness or sniffing.  When you see this, hurry him to the door saying,”Do you have to go out?”   and “good potty”  when  he/she does, etc.  If you do this often enough he will get the idea.
Naming the act is the best thing you can do.  Eventually the dog will go when you give the command “Go Potty”.  Just keep saying “Good Potty” every time he does it right and eventually he will ‘get it’.
You can also put a bell on the door and get him used to ringing this when he has to go out.   This way no matter where you are you will hear the bell and know he has to go out.  

Dogs

Nancy Perry