Dogs/Identifying dog breed

QUESTION: Can you tell me what kind of dog this is? I have attached a picture. Thanks

ANSWER: Hi Rachael,

It looks to me like that dog is a Beagle mix. The only way to know a mixed breeds true breed heritage is to do a DNA test on it. That isn't expensive, It runs about $65.

Mixed breed digs are usually healthier than their purebred cousins, and make wonderful loving pets.
Whatever the breed, all that matters is that you love him/her!

I hope I've been a help.

QUESTION: Thanks so much Patti! can you tell if he has any pitbull in him?

Hello again,

His face looks awfully Beagle/Hound-ish to me. I can't judge his size or bone structure from the picture. It's totally possible that he's got Pitbull in him, but my opinion and $1 will buy you a cup of coffee. It's by no means a definitive answer.

If this is something that really matters to you, you should consider springing for the DNA test. It's a simple test you can do at home, find them online by doing a web search for: "dog breed DNA test", or ask your vet to refer a DNA test.

To date, I've owned 7 dogs, all of which have lived into old age. Having cared for them in all stages of life, I feel I can offer sound advice to other pet owners, and people considering getting a dog. I am knowledgeable about the AKC (American Kennel Club) dog breeds, training and exercise, caring for sick and elderly pets, feeding, as well as many holistic treatments pets can benefit from. My only request is that you write me using standard English and punctuation.

My life experience in this field is more like "on the job training" rather than an actual degree in animal welfare. You may benefit from my experiences over the past 30 years. Aside from the dogs I've owned, I'm also involved in "breed rescue" and have fostered several dogs, all of which have been adopted to wonderful "forever homes". I find helping people who want a dog very rewarding.

Real life experience, based on over 30 years of dog ownership.