Dogs/lactation

Question
My black lab is whelping as I write. Her teats are swollen, but they are not secreting anything. Is this normal? When does the colostrum come in?

Answer
Kate,
Try and squeeze the teat and see if anything comes out.  Make sure they are soft, not hard. If they are hard take her to the vet immediately and feed the pups from a bottle using Espilac.  She may have an infection.  She may not, but better to be safe than sorry.  Now of course her milk may be a little late coming in.  If the teats are soft, give the emergency vet a call to put them on notice and let the pups suckle.  Her pituitary gland should kick in with the stimulation and she should get her milk started soon.  Give her plenty of liquids including a little diluted milk.   Make sure you keep the pups warm if she is refusing to nurse them.  The pups may suckle really hard and get her tender and she may avoid them a bit, so make sure you keep them warm.  If you have to pet her to keep her in the box...Let me know if you have anymore problems and I will try and get back to you quickly.
nancy

Dogs

Nancy Perry