Dogs/Male Italian Greyhound

Question
QUESTION: Today I notice my 6 year old male IG licking himself, as he sometimes does. Only this time, he had a LOT of whiteish, milky discharge, that he decided he didn't like the taste of, & proceeded to spit out. Since it landed on the blanket, as well as the couch, I immediately noticed that it had a very foul, strong, smell to it. I've seen this milky discharge before, but not at the amount OR smell, that it had this time. I just want to make sure that he is ok, as he is completely the love of my life. He already has occasional seizures to deal with, I just don't want there to be anything else major wrong. Thank you for your time & help.
~ Toby'sMom ~

ANSWER:
Hi Dawn,

Usually, a foul smelling discharge will be greenish or yellowish green, and it would indicate an infection.

You didn't say where your dog was licking when you noticed the discharge. If it was his rear end, your dog may be having an anal gland problem, which is easily taken care of in the vet's office (and fairly common for dogs). It is not uncommon for there to be a very small amount of discharge from the penis, but you said there was a lot of discharge.  If it was a urinary tract infection or even an infection or inflammation of the glans of the penis the discharge would be greenish or yellow.
Though the discharge wasn't green, it's possible that your dog has urinary tract a bacterial infection. Your dog might be having other symptoms such as frequent urination, pain while urinating, or abdominal pain, if it were that.

Since I'm not a veterinarian and can't diagnose your dog, to be sure and have peace of mind contact your vet's office and ask them the same question you've asked me. If it sounds to the receptionist like it could be a potential problem, you would be asked to bring your dog in for an exam.

Sorry I couldn't be more of a help.
Best of luck,

Patti

QUESTION: Sorry, yes it was his penis. And no, it wasn't yellow or greenish. It was just a sort of milky color. As I said, I've seen where he maybe had a drop on his penis, but there was never any foul smell from it like there was this time, not to mention that it was more than just a "drop" like it usually is. I haven't noticed him acting like he's having any difficulty urinating, or pain or anything like that. He may be urinating more than usual, but its so hard to tell because he has always gone a lot anyway. I'm sorry, I'm really not trying to be so difficult or vague - maybe you were right - that it might be a good idea to just have him seen by his vet, just to be on the safe side. If rather pay for the vet to tell me nothing's wrong with him, than to just assume he's fine & find out later that he's very ill because I didn't take him in right away like I should have.
Thank you so much for your quick response. I really do appreciate your advice.
~ Dawn ~

Answer

Hello again,

Because you've seen a large amount of discharge, and it's smelly, you should have your dog examined by your vet. If your dog is having some kind of infection, it's best to get him diagnosed early on. The treatment will be shorter and less complicated.

Your vet may want to do tests to rule out a urinary tract infection and may do a bacterial culture of the discharge.

If you are having trouble afford veterinary care, first talk to your regular vet. Ask your veterinarian if he or she will let you work out a payment plan. Many veterinarians are willing to work out a weekly or monthly payment plan so that you do not have to pay the entire cost of veterinary care up front. Another option is to contact local animal shelters or the Humane Society. Some shelters operate or know of local subsidized veterinary clinics or veterinary assistance programs. If you happen to live within driving distance to veterinary school, check with them to see if they offer discount services to the public. There are two special credit cards to apply for which help with medical bills (including veterinary bills) read about them here:

http://www.carecredit.com
http://www.healthcard.citicards.com

Best of luck (and don't worry!)

Patti

Dogs

Patti