Dogs/Odd Behavior

Question
I have a 2 year old Lhasa mix.  I had him groomed last Sat, cut really short for summer.  He came home acting weird.  Hiding in his kennel, crying, biting at his butt.  He's not eating, doesn't want to go outside and peeing everywhere.  None of these behaviors were evident before Sat. He is definitely not himself. Also very clingy and needing, which is usual, but now even more so.

Answer
Hi Pat,

Thank you for writing to me about your Lhasa x.  Your dog's only means of communication with you is his body language.  He is telling you that he's suffered a horrible experience...some kind of trauma from abuse.  Do not ever use that place again.  I don't know if this is one groomer or a place with several groomers but something terrible happened to him at the hands of someone there.  I would suggest that you confront the groomer and demand to know exactly what happened.  You might get a "song & dance" and royal run around but read between the lines and watch the facial movements and body language.  If this is a commercial place with a surveillance camera, demand to look at the tape.  I would also try to speak with other people who use that grooming place and see if they have had a bad experience as well.  Does this groomer have a license?  Is it a legit business?  You could file complaints with the BBB and licensing board.  If I were you, I would be furious that someone did this to an innocent dog without a voice of his own or any way to protect himself.  

Start giving your dog Rescue Remedy and take him to your vet immediately for a full exam.  Explain to your vet what happened and ask for advice.

I wish you and your sweet dog the very best,
Shelley Davis

Don't forget to rate your expert.

Dogs

Shelley Davis