Dogs/Puppy for an adult?

Should I buy a golden retriever pup for my adult golden retriever?
I have a male golden retriever dog that is almost six years old and we are now considering buying another family pet. I'm thinking maybe to start fresh with a puppy? My current dog is a gentleman and very playful...
If I buy a puppy, should I have worries that my dog could want to have sex with the puppy once she's a bit older? Would my dog be too rough on her while play fighting and stuff? Just how compatible would those two dogs be?

Hi Natalia,

Since your current 6 year old dog enjoys the company of other dogs and is still playful he might enjoy having a puppy.

A puppy can be a good choice because it's more of a "blank slate" that will be more likely to meld into your household since it wouldn't have ingrained habits to deal with. Puppies usually are accepted by older dogs, because they're seen as juveniles who generally aren't a threat. That said, a puppy can be relentless when it comes to it's activity level and wanting to play. Puppy behaviors can be exhausting for your older dog. You may need to step in give your older dog some space from the puppy. It's okay if your dog disciplines a puppy (as long as no blood is shed). Puppies learn how to behave and what's acceptable behavior from older dogs. Dog play can appear to be quite intense at times. Youíll know itís consensual if both dogs remain together as they play.

Whether you get a puppy or an adult dog, it should be neutered or spayed. Having an unaltered male and an intact female under one roof is asking for unwanted litters, no matter how careful you think you can be. Having two un-neutered male dogs or two females (either spayed or unspayed) can mean problems with aggression. You might not see it until the puppy matures. The best mix for a harmonious household is either a spayed female and neutered male, or two neutered male dogs.

There is a correct way to introduce a second dog into a household for a fairly quick and easy transition as possible. Read more here:

During the period of adjustment, be sure to give your current dog one-on-one time each day (leashed walks, rides in the car, play, obedience work, etc.), stick to his existing routine (as much as possible) and don't displace him in favor of the puppy. For example, if it's your dog's habit to sleep in your bed, don't let the new dog or puppy sleep there too before you see that they have bonded. Your dog may well have issues of jealousy if you try to rush the introduction. It may take a month before the dust has settled, and both dogs are comfortable with one another.

I hope I've been a help.
Best of luck,

To date, I've owned 7 dogs, all of which have lived into old age. Having cared for them in all stages of life, I feel I can offer sound advice to other pet owners, and people considering getting a dog. I am knowledgeable about the AKC (American Kennel Club) dog breeds, training and exercise, caring for sick and elderly pets, feeding, as well as many holistic treatments pets can benefit from. My only request is that you write me using standard English and punctuation.

My life experience in this field is more like "on the job training" rather than an actual degree in animal welfare. You may benefit from my experiences over the past 30 years. Aside from the dogs I've owned, I'm also involved in "breed rescue" and have fostered several dogs, all of which have been adopted to wonderful "forever homes". I find helping people who want a dog very rewarding.

Real life experience, based on over 30 years of dog ownership.