I have a husky mix, he loves to run but I'm concerned about whether walking/running on paved surfaces for long periods damage the pads of a dog's feet, if so, are there any products and/or procedures to help prevent it?

Hi Ty,

There are a few things you can do to protect your dog's footpads when he runs on pavement. First, conditioning is important. Any amount of exercise can be too much if your dog isn't conditioned to the surfaces he'll be walking or running on. Build up to a level of exercise gradually. Dogs will often regulate their activity to their level of comfort.

Dog "booties" are one of the best ways of protecting a dog's feet from the elements, no matter the season. But your dog will have to get used to wearing them. Many styles aren't appropriate for hot weather, as they don't let the dogs sweat through their paws. If you're looking for summer dog boots select a style that has mesh fabric, or is labeled for all season use. One brand, "Cool Dog Boots" by Ultra Paws is made specifically for summer use. Your dog will probably need to get used to having something on his feet. Place a boot on one of your dog's feet, give him praise and a treat, and remove the boot, and repeat. This positive method of reinforcement helps your dog learn that boots equal treats, and will help get your dog used to the idea of wearing boot. Dog boot require a break-in period, just like human shoes. Try to take your dog out on short walks or runs prior to a longer outings.

Apply a product such as "Tuf-Foot", "Musher's Secret" or "Paw Guard Dog Paw Wax", they condition a dog's foot pads and help prevent abrasions, burning, drying and cracking. These products are best started a week before your dog runs, and then two or three times a week after that.

If your dog isn't wearing boots don't allow him to run on pavement or asphalt during the summer, unless it's during the early morning before things heat up. If a surface is too hot for you to walk barefoot on, it's too hot for your dog.

I hope I've been a help.
Best of luck,

To date, I've owned 7 dogs, all of which have lived into old age. Having cared for them in all stages of life, I feel I can offer sound advice to other pet owners, and people considering getting a dog. I am knowledgeable about the AKC (American Kennel Club) dog breeds, training and exercise, caring for sick and elderly pets, feeding, as well as many holistic treatments pets can benefit from. My only request is that you write me using standard English and punctuation.

My life experience in this field is more like "on the job training" rather than an actual degree in animal welfare. You may benefit from my experiences over the past 30 years. Aside from the dogs I've owned, I'm also involved in "breed rescue" and have fostered several dogs, all of which have been adopted to wonderful "forever homes". I find helping people who want a dog very rewarding.

Real life experience, based on over 30 years of dog ownership.