Dogs/Worried about my male and female dogs

Hi mam,
I have mailed you earlier ... A small reminder : I have a male and female spitz ... Male is around 4 years old and female is 2 and a half years old ...

My male dog had only one testicle that was dropped ... Last year in February he mated with a female spitz ( not mine ) and she had a litter of 5 healthy pups ... We mated him again in June 2012 with another female ... In December, I noticed that even that 1 testes has disappeared and once when I examined, I could feel a very small testes and during another examination, I noticed that he had no testes ( it was flat ) and another time I could feel some kind of ruptured fluid ... My vet was not in station and hence I postponed taking him to the vet ..

During this time, my female dog came into heat ( in December 2012 ) ... I have mailed you many times about it ... She deliverd a singleton on Jan 31st 2013 and the pup died 3 days after that ...
During this heat period of her's ( in december 2012 ) , my male dog only used to lick her vagina and rub her ... He never mounted her, so I had to arrange for another male dog for the mating ...

My female dog came into heat again on April 25th 2013 ( 3 months after her pup died ) ... She comes into heat every 4 months ... I did not want to mate her this time, so I never arranged for another male dog ... As my male dog cannot mate ( as in the previous heat cycle ), I left her with him ... Yesterday he licked her back and just mounted her once and then got down and went away ... Believing that, I left her with him today ... After an hour, I heard her bark in pain and when I went running, I saw them both in a tie ... OH MY GOD !!!!

I examined him and he has no testes ( it feels like some disintegrated fluid ) ... Im taking my male dog to the vet day after t'rrow, but as I am really perturbed, thought of asking you certain questions ...

1) As he has no testes, could he be producing sperms that could impregnate my female ??? Could the mating have been just a stray act ???

2) Could he have passed on any infection to her ???

I am so so worried about both the dogs ...

Hi Sujatha,

You should not be breeding a male dog with undescended or retained testicle. It's a genetic flaw and a health risk that could be passed down to another generation of dogs. Even though the past litter was healthy, male dogs from that litter would not develop problems until they are well into adulthood, meaning the healthy male puppies might not be so healthy.

Your male dog should be examined by a veterinarian, so it's good you already have that appointment. An undescended testicle has a 14 times higher chance that it will turn cancerous, than his descended testicle. Your dog's undescended testicle or both testicles may need to be removed.

Since you know this dog had at least one testicle in his past, and now you say that single teste is missing, it's another good reason to keep the vet appointment you made. If your vet finds any sort of an infection, inform him about this past breeding. If your female dog develops a foul smelling discharge, or seems to be in pain one day soon, then she too will need a vet exam. Tell all of your concerns to your veterinarian, he or she will give you much better information regarding the health of your dogs, than I can.

Please take the steps to become a responsible dog breeder who breeds for healthy puppies, and not just solely for profit.

Best of luck,

To date, I've owned 7 dogs, all of which have lived into old age. Having cared for them in all stages of life, I feel I can offer sound advice to other pet owners, and people considering getting a dog. I am knowledgeable about the AKC (American Kennel Club) dog breeds, training and exercise, caring for sick and elderly pets, feeding, as well as many holistic treatments pets can benefit from. My only request is that you write me using standard English and punctuation.

My life experience in this field is more like "on the job training" rather than an actual degree in animal welfare. You may benefit from my experiences over the past 30 years. Aside from the dogs I've owned, I'm also involved in "breed rescue" and have fostered several dogs, all of which have been adopted to wonderful "forever homes". I find helping people who want a dog very rewarding.

Real life experience, based on over 30 years of dog ownership.