Dogs/My 12 week old American Pit Bull Terrier puppy

Hello, I have a 12 week old American Pit Bull Terrier puppy who I got on May 30. She is a very active puppy which is to be expected. She has been to the vet an received most of her shots. She still have to go back in two weeks to get her second set of shots. My biggest issue with my Ruby is her mouthing. I tell her "no" when she bites too hard. I have tried ignoring her and then giving her a chew toy after a few minutes. She doesn't seem to grasp the concept of her name yet, so I have come up with different noises and sounds to make to grasp her attention when she does something inappropriate.  She just mouths on EVERYTHING!!!

The second issue I have with her is her urinating in the house. I have tried everything!! I let her out every hour. After she eats or drinks anything, I take her out. If she doesnt use the bathroom, I bring her back in and put her in her kennel, and wait a few minutes, then I take her back out to try again. She has pooped in my room under my bed and just last night before going to bed, I had the pleasure of stepping in a big pile of dog poop lol. She is as sweet as can be but this using the bathroom all over the house is a bit much. I don't want to keep her in her kennel all day. She needs to run around and play just like other dogs. What do you suggest?

Hi Aleshia,

Congratulations on getting a puppy!

At around 3 months of age your puppy is going to do a lot of chewing and accidents in your home before she learns what's appropriate to chew on, and where to potty. You shouldn't be expecting her to understand the concept of "no", or her name for several weeks. Your puppy will continue to want to chew until she's done teething, at around 5 or 6 months of age.

To help her to learn her name, use her name every time you talk to her and with every command, but NOT when you're telling her "NO" or when you are correcting her. You never want to associate your puppy's name with something negative!

You can't simply put your puppy outside by herself and expect her to go to the bathroom. You need to train your puppy to relieve herself outside, and not inside your home. You can't train her if you're not outside with her. Read more about how to house train a puppy here:

If your puppy continues to pee frequently have your vet examine her. She could have a urinary tract infection. Often the only symptom is peeing frequently.

Your puppy should not be having the unsupervised run of your home. That's just setting her up for house training accidents. The more accidents that happen in your home, the harder (and longer) it's going to be to get her house trained. When accidents happen, don't blame your puppy. She's an untrained baby, more likely than not the fault is going to be yours for either not getting her outside soon enough, or not supervising her. Try keeping her leash on her collar inside of your home, and either holding the end of the leash or tie it to your beltloop so you can watch her every move and get her outside quickly. Don't punish or yell at your puppy for these accidents. Be sure to clean up the mess with an enzymatic cleaner, such as Nature's Miracle or Simple Solution. She'll be less likely to resoil if she can't smell where she's gone before.  Signs your puppy is thinking about going to the bathroom are:
• She starts sniffing the floor
• Turning in circles while sniffing
• Whining with the behaviors listed above
• Watch your puppy and learn her particular signs

Keep in mind that puppies under three months of age don't yet have bowel or bladder control, so they need lots of supervision, meals on a schedule and frequent trips outside (what goes in at a certain time, comes out at a certain time).

Your puppy needs to be contained in either a dog crate (buy the correct size or she'll he having accidents in the crate!) or in part of a room (use childgates) or with an indoor dog pen. Anytime you can't be watching your puppy like a hawk, when you leave your home, and during the over night your puppy needs to be contained. Read about containing your puppy here:

Just like house training, learning not to bite (and how hard to bite when playing) are things that need to be taught. Don't play games that encourage your puppy to bite (such as tug-of-war). You need to be consistent in your training. You can read about how to stop your puppy's biting here:

The first 4˝ months of your puppy’s life are the most important and impressionable. This is the time to get your puppy outside as much as you can, and to expose her to all sorts of new places, other friendly dogs, other people, other houses, all sorts of sounds and noises, and to as many new experiences as possible. The first 4 months of socializing your puppy are irreversible. If she is exposed to a variety of experiences he will become a very adjusted pet, if she isn't he could turn aggressive, or be excessively shy. Now is a great time to enroll in "puppy kindergarten" class. Your puppy will start to learn important obedience commands, and you'll be guided in how to train your puppy (it's better to be shown than to read about it!). Puppy kindergarten is also a good place to help socialize your girl! Ask at your vet's office or at a local boarding kennel where's there's a puppy kindergarten class in your area.

Lastly, puppies grow quickly and the time will fly. If your puppy hasn't yet been spayed, the time to do it is BEFORE her first heat cycle, which is likely to happen around 6 months of age. Having her spayed before 5 months of age is a good way of ensuring she gets spayed early enough. Females who are spayed before their first heat cycle have almost no chance of developing breast cancer, no chance of developing uterine cancer or Pyometra (a sometimes fatal uterine infection). Spayed dogs live healthier longer lives.

I hope I've been a help.
Best of luck,

To date, I've owned 7 dogs, all of which have lived into old age. Having cared for them in all stages of life, I feel I can offer sound advice to other pet owners, and people considering getting a dog. I am knowledgeable about the AKC (American Kennel Club) dog breeds, training and exercise, caring for sick and elderly pets, feeding, as well as many holistic treatments pets can benefit from. My only request is that you write me using standard English and punctuation.

My life experience in this field is more like "on the job training" rather than an actual degree in animal welfare. You may benefit from my experiences over the past 30 years. Aside from the dogs I've owned, I'm also involved in "breed rescue" and have fostered several dogs, all of which have been adopted to wonderful "forever homes". I find helping people who want a dog very rewarding.

Real life experience, based on over 30 years of dog ownership.