Dogs/day 46 full mammary glands/milk

My dog is on day 46 and her mammary glands are just FULL of milk already. Can I put warm compresses on them to relief them or just let them be? Or can I express some of the milk to bring down the fullness?
This is her first pregnancy and was confirmed at the vet office on day 30. And she is going back on day 55 for her xray.

Paula, You didn't say what kind of dog this is, but I have never had a dog with milk that early unless it was a false pregnancy.  I am concerned there is something else going on here like maybe an infection.  I wouldn't express any milk unless you see them turning red or getting hard.  If she gets bound up with milk it can be painful for her and a vet can help relieve that sometimes with a shot.  Bigger dogs, will come into their milk earlier than small dogs.  If you have a very large dog, then this could be possible, but still, a month early is on the outside of rare.  Watch her carefully for the above symptoms of redness and hardness, take her temp and make sure it is around 101/102 and you could temporarily limit her water intake by about 25% less for about a week only.
Let me know how many pups she has, ok?  I would love to hear.  Good luck to you both.

Nancy Perry

You can ask me anything on dog training, dog breeding, dog grooming. What type of dog you should get. Pertinent facts about different breeds. I am also specifically knowledgeable about terriers and the diets that help maintain coat excellence. I have trained and helped owners train their dogs.

I have worked in dog training for 35 years. I have been a dog groomer for 25 years..

Certified trainer with Petsmart Certified Groomer with Petsmart

approximatedly 2 to three hundred clients since 1993