Dogs/Feeding my dog

Question
we are having feeding problems with our 2year old mix breed.  He is 1/2 shihtzu, 1/4 bichon &  1/4 poodle.  We will start out good on a bag of dried food and after the 2nd bags will not eat any more. I've tried others and the same thing happens.  We did make the mistake of giving him some table food (good lean meat) mixed with dry food and that worked for quit a while.  He now doesn't want any dog food but all people food.  He recently saw the Vet and is in good shape.  Should we withhold all at once or try to cut him back gradually?  I'm at a loss of what to do.  He is a very good dog.  doesn't bother anything inside or out.  When we tell him no he listens.  Any suggestions?

Answer
Hi Carolyn,

Sorry for the delay in writing.

You are not alone in this.  In fact, many times dogs that are given the taste of our food don't like to go back to eating theirs.  Here is what I suggest.  Get yourself a good nutrious dog food; I like the foods at www.pipschoice.com or www.frrco.com/120855
Follow the suggested feeding chart for pets in proper weight.  Divide the daily serving into two potions.  At the first feeding of the day, put down the food and if your dog is not done eating after 15 minutes, pick it up and wait until the second feeding time.  This is not a cruel thing to do, the fact is your dog will learn to eat when he is given his meals.  You will find that it does not take long for your pup to eat his food.  
I give my dogs treats of people food but never as a meal with their own food.  

Hope this helps you and your dog.  Remember, dogs will never starve themselves, they will eat when they are very hunger.
Susan Potts
Www.spottsgrooming.com  

Dogs

Susan Potts