Dogs/gsd not eating and not feeling good.

Question
My 15 month old gsd (female) is not eating anything from last two days. She was eating selected things as per her like till day before yesterday. I consulted a vet , he said that this is normal and prescribed piperazine for deworming. But still my dog is not eating anything and now from the last two days she stopped eating anything.
I am trying everything including pedigree, yogurt and many more things..but she's not eating anything. She is also not feeling well and looks tired.
Though she is showing signs of vomiting or stools, but i am worried about her health. Plz advice.
ALso like to mention that she is timely vaccinated and dewormed.

i did little research on internet..i believe this is not DM...plz advice..
Thanks

Answer
Hi Anshul,

I don't know what you told your vet that you aren't telling me, for your vet to tell you "this is normal".
Did your vet do any tests to confirm the presence of "worms", or can you see the parasites?  How long ago did you give your dog the dewormer? Piperazine is used to treat roundworms. It may be your dog has another kind of parasite, and a different medication would be needed. If no testing was done, now is the time to have your dog tested for worms.

You say you've done some research online, and you don't think this is a case of "DM". By "DM", do you mean degenerative myelopathy? I doubt it's that, as degenerative myelopathy a disease of the spinal cord.

Even if your dog does indeed have roundworms, because she doesn't seems to be responding to treatment, she needs the be examined by a veterinarian to give you a diagnosis. Nobody on line can diagnose your dog, they can only offer guesswork, and your dog deserves more than that.

Until your dog can be seen by a vet (assuming she doesn't vomit as soon as she's done eating), try to get your dog to eat. Warming your dog's food will make it more aromatic, with can stimulate appetite. Try mixing a chopped hard-boiled egg, or cottage cheese into her food, or just feed her chopped hard boiled egg (if she won't eat her regular food). Try hand feeding her. If she won't go near solid foods you give her low sodium chicken broth or beef broth.  You don't want your dog to become dehydrated on top of whatever her current problem is. Broth would provide both the nutrients and liquids she needs. If she absolutely won't touch broth, here are directions for how to "force feed" her, so you can get some food into her:

Hold your dog's muzzle with one hand and tilt her nose up at a 45 angle. Talk to her while you are doing this; reassure her verbally and pat or stroke her head. Press gently inward on her upper lips to get her mouth open.
To prevent your dog from clamping her mouth shut on your fingers, keep her upper lips rolled inward between her teeth and your fingers. Use your opposite hand to open her mouth and place a feeding syringe or squeeze bottle filled with broth or liquified food as far back between her back teeth and the inside of her cheek as you can (don't try to squirt the liquid down her throat).  Keep her head up will encourage her to swallow; if that fails, stroke her throat until she does. If your dog licks her nose, most likely the liquid has gone down.

Here are additional instructions for getting liquids into a dog:

http://www.ehow.com/how_6216368_force-feed-dog-fluids.html

If your dog hasn't eaten in a couple of days, her blood sugar is probably down. That can cause her to feel a little nauseous and make her not want to eat. Try spreading a little honey or table syrup onto her gums. Wait 10-15 minutes and then offer her something easy to digest like warm (cooked) oatmeal, or some bread.

Don't put off having your dog examined by your veterinarian.

I hope I've been a help.
Best of luck,

Patti

Dogs

Patti