Dogs/Strange behavior

My 2 yrold  poodle mix has started wandering aimlessly around house. Her head kind of bobs back and forth at times. She is not very interactive. She is eating and drinking. She also tries to get behind furniture, I have had to help her get out. She seems to always have a wet mouth even if she hasn't had a recent drink.  She had  one known seizure in February, after seizure she was like a normal dog running playing interactive. Vet chose not to treat with her just having one seizure. Can dogs have continous degree of seizure activity?   I need some answers. Seems to have trouble knowing which side of door opens to go out.

Hi Donna,

There are different kinds of seizures, they all don't involve loss off muscle control or falling over. It sounds to me (and I'm not a veterinarian mind you) that your dog is having some form of mild seizures, this could be "Absence Seizures" (petit mal), Partial Seizures, or Complex Partial Seizures. You asked if dogs can have continuous seizure activity. "Status epilepticus" involves constant seizures, or activity involving brief periods where there is inactivity, but not complete relief from seizure activity.

You should contact your vet of course, and have him or her examine your dog because seizures are serious business. Try to keep track of the dates that you've seen this behavior in your dog, how long the episodes lasted and the behavior associated with them. It can be helpful to write them down when they happen, so you have accurate info to pass on to your vet.

Your vet still might not think it's time to medicate your dog for mild seizures, or if the frequency that the seizures occur is still within safe limits.

If these aren't seizures, it's possible your dog is having an ear infection. Dogs with ear infections can develop inflammation of the inner ear (vestibular system) and dizzy spells that could look like the head bobbing you've described. Low thyroid function or hypothyroidism can cause seizures, so you might want to talk to your vet about doing bloodwork to see if that's a possibility.

I hope I've been a help.
Best of luck,

To date, I've owned 7 dogs, all of which have lived into old age. Having cared for them in all stages of life, I feel I can offer sound advice to other pet owners, and people considering getting a dog. I am knowledgeable about the AKC (American Kennel Club) dog breeds, training and exercise, caring for sick and elderly pets, feeding, as well as many holistic treatments pets can benefit from. My only request is that you write me using standard English and punctuation.

My life experience in this field is more like "on the job training" rather than an actual degree in animal welfare. You may benefit from my experiences over the past 30 years. Aside from the dogs I've owned, I'm also involved in "breed rescue" and have fostered several dogs, all of which have been adopted to wonderful "forever homes". I find helping people who want a dog very rewarding.

Real life experience, based on over 30 years of dog ownership.