Dogs/Trimming Yorkies

I am trying to trim my Yorkies myself.  How can I avoid that choppy look I am getting? Also, what size blade on body, legs, head?
Thank you

Hi Marika,

I'm not sure what happened to my first response to you but here it is again.

I like to use a comb attachment over a 30 Andis blade to give a natural looking shorter clip on the back.  You can use a 7f ( f stands for finishing blade) or a 5f, 4f on the body.  The legs are normally scissored.  To trim the head you can just use scissors to cut the hair in front of the eyes.  Comb forward over the eyes, hold the hair between your figures and carefully trim.  Comb all the hair to each side toward the ears and trim the same length.  You can use a 10 blade and just trim the tips of the ears.  Be very careful of the edge of the tiny ears.  You can also use scissors to trim hair on the edges, but use your figure as a guide.

Hope this helps.
Susan Potts  

Susan Potts

I am a professional dog groomer and can help you with your dog's grooming needs. I also love to study pet foods and can help you with choosing a good food for your pet. Nutrition by supplements for health is also a topic I enjoy talking about.

Over 17 years for professional dog and cat grooming. Nearly five year combined of studying pet health and nutrition. Four plus years as an independent field representative with Flint River Ranch pet food and three plus years as a representative in the HealthyPetNet business featuring Life's Abundance dog and cat food, treats, vitamins and grooming care products. Over two years as a distributor for NuVet Plus pet supplements. Teaching clients and giving nutritional support to help with their pet's well being. Owner of Spotts Grooming and Holistic Pet

The Healthy Dog, Spotts Dog Care

On the job training as a brusher/bather for one year. Basic groomer for three years. Certificate groomer from Groom Expo 2004 Home studies of Groomer In A box and continuing education at groom expos through out the country.

17 years of grooming clients, Pet food and supplement customers through out the United States and Canada