Dogs/broken dog toenail

Can I cut my dog's broken toenail if its broken down to the tissue?

Hi Tashima,

Nail injuries are very painful for dogs. If your dog will allow you to touch the nail to remove the damaged portion, that would be great. If not, you need to take your dog to your veterinarian. Broken nails need to be trimmed above the break, so that the injury can heal cleanly.  Again, this may be something best done by your veterinarian.

In the future, prevention of nail injuries consists of regular nail trimming and adequate exercise on hard surfaces to wear down the nails.

Best of luck,

To date, I've owned 7 dogs, all of which have lived into old age. Having cared for them in all stages of life, I feel I can offer sound advice to other pet owners, and people considering getting a dog. I am knowledgeable about the AKC (American Kennel Club) dog breeds, training and exercise, caring for sick and elderly pets, feeding, as well as many holistic treatments pets can benefit from. My only request is that you write me using standard English and punctuation.

My life experience in this field is more like "on the job training" rather than an actual degree in animal welfare. You may benefit from my experiences over the past 30 years. Aside from the dogs I've owned, I'm also involved in "breed rescue" and have fostered several dogs, all of which have been adopted to wonderful "forever homes". I find helping people who want a dog very rewarding.

Real life experience, based on over 30 years of dog ownership.